Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Burkhardi

Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:26 pm

dgburns wrote:
I finally got bit by dead power supply in my original RevB. Time to swap in my spare RevB and tinker with fixing the original.

You can do a morex, or just fix and improve the OEM supply. Check your PM.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

mjt5282

Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:20 pm

Mr. Burkhard repaired two of my broken Roku HD1000's in under a week - I had the total pleasure of listening to songs from my CD collection on my living room stereo on a Rev. B that I had purchased used on ebay but was delivered DOA .

Matt also repaired my originally purchased Rev. A that died after about 3 1/2 years of loyal service... Running again after prompt, professional service .

I wouldn't hesitate to send more business his way and would totally recommend his thorough, prompt service!

-Mike
PB1000 Rev. A (X3), PB1000 Rev. B (X3), SlimServer 6.5.4 + Nero MediaHome (for transcoding to MPlay)

na9d

Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:22 pm

mjt5282 wrote:
Mr. Burkhard repaired two of my broken Roku HD1000's in under a week

Outstanding. Well, we've now replaced Roku's customer service.

Now all we need to do is get someone at Roku to release the firmware source code so that the geniuses here can hack it, fix it and make this an even better box! Wish they'd release it. Why hold on to it for a "dead" product?
Roku Soundbridge M2000
Roku Soundbridge M1000
Roku Photobridge HD1000 RevB
Roku Photobridge HD1000 RevA
3 ReplayTVs
4 Slingboxes (Classic and Pro, AV and Solo)
Firefly Media Server and SlimServer Running on a MacPro
2 Vudu VOD Players

Burkhardi

HD1000 Photobridge repair service

Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:54 pm

mjt5282 wrote:
Mr. Burkhard repaired two of my broken Roku HD1000's in under a week - I had the total pleasure of listening to songs from my CD collection on my living room stereo on a Rev. B that I had purchased used on ebay but was delivered DOA .

Matt also repaired my originally purchased Rev. A that died after about 3 1/2 years of loyal service... Running again after prompt, professional service .

I wouldn't hesitate to send more business his way and would totally recommend his thorough, prompt service!

-Mike

Mike, Thank you very much for the kind words!

Now that the cat is kinda out of the bag, I am working with Chris Lewis of Pyramid Audio and we have come up with some nice solutions and ideas for the HD1000 (some reliability improvments to the power supply and motherboard).

We are working on some behind the scenes stuff right now that I want to iron out as well as get Roku's blessing for an offical post. Once we have both of those items done, THEN I will make an offical post on the forum here.

In the mean time, if anyone needs their unit repaired and modified, please call Pyramid Audio and they will get you squared away (or send me an email at burkhardi@hotmail.com if you have any questions). I also made a post in the AVS Forum since there are people there that have and use the photobridge as well. It's in the "Digital Media Servers & Content Streamers" section.

As I said, we (Pyramid Audio and I) will make an offical post once we iron out the behind the scenes item and get Roku's blessing.

Best regards, Matt Burkhard

If you want, you can check out Pyramid's website as http://www.pyramid-audio.com/ they have a nice portfolio (i.e. Bang and Olufsen(B&O), Mark Levinson and McIntosh) and have been in the biz for over 25 yeras. You will also find their phone number in Austin,Tx.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

jm_maclaren

VR U12 appears broken as the voltage on TP29=0 - help needed

Thu May 10, 2007 4:55 pm

I tested the voltage regulators and, like others, appear to have a blown U12 VR - the voltage on TP29 is 0 but is ok on TP58 & TP45,

I ordered a LP3965EMP-ADJ SOT223-5 from National Semiconductors. Can someone confirm this is the right part. As a college prof I got a free sample of 5 of them!

I would appreciate any pointers on replacing this part, or if others have had success and might do it for a fee to PM me.

Thanks

Burkhardi

It's not a cake walk...

Thu May 10, 2007 6:05 pm

jm_maclaren wrote:
I tested the voltage regulators and, like others, appear to have a blown U12 VR - the voltage on TP29 is 0 but is ok on TP58 & TP45,

I ordered a LP3965EMP-ADJ SOT223-5 from National Semiconductors. Can someone confirm this is the right part. As a college prof I got a free sample of 5 of them!

I would appreciate any pointers on replacing this part, or if others have had success and might do it for a fee to PM me.

Thanks

So I guess my memory was not too bad on the test points then? Glad you were finaly able to track down the casue/issue.

If you have never worked on SMD/SMT before, your in for a real treat! Don't get the PCB too hot and try not to lift the land/pad. If you can find someone localy (read- friend) that knows how to solder SMD/SMT stuff, then your better off buying them dinner and letting them do it. I know A guy in Austin, Texas that can do this :wink: 8)

I think the PN is right too, but that is from memory also. Let me double check and I'll send you another PM.

alkeown

Sun May 20, 2007 10:01 am

Just got my HD1000 back from Pyramid Audio. A test point on the main board showed a failure in a voltage regulator. Turn around was short. It sure is good to have the HD1000 working again. As others have said, I didn't know just how much I depended on it.
Al K

DaMutha

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:27 pm

I just joined the ranks of the Roku-less: bought it July 2005, RIP May 31, 2007. It will be shipped off to Pyramid Audio on Monday.

It's pretty amazing that just about every one of these things appears to be faulty.

na9d

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:46 pm

DaMutha wrote:
I just joined the ranks of the Roku-less: bought it July 2005, RIP May 31, 2007. It will be shipped off to Pyramid Audio on Monday.

It's pretty amazing that just about every one of these things appears to be faulty.

A bad design is a bad design and therefore it will be a failure for just about everyone! :(

You really don't realize how much you use the box until it dies. Then it's like, "OUCH!"
Roku Soundbridge M2000

Roku Soundbridge M1000

Roku Photobridge HD1000 RevB

Roku Photobridge HD1000 RevA

3 ReplayTVs

4 Slingboxes (Classic and Pro, AV and Solo)

Firefly Media Server and SlimServer Running on a MacPro

2 Vudu VOD Players

soiaf

Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:43 am

I sent my HD1000 off to Pyramid Audio, delighted to say I have it back filling the room with music :D
A really big thanks to both Matt and Chris for taking care of my broken PhotoBridge, they really did a great job.
If anyone has a broken PhotoBridge and they're anyway hesitant about fixing it themselves then I would be happy to recommend Pyramid Audio.

jm_maclaren

roku repaired by Matt & pyramid audio

Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:12 pm

I just got one of my units back from pyramid-audio. The unit had a bad ps and a bad voltage regulator. Matt and the folks at pyramid were great its running nicely and I recommend them highly to those needing their broken roku hd1000 fixed. :)

Bill123

Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:33 am

Another Pyramid-Audio fan here. One of my Rev B units broke on Sunday - I mailed it on Monday and received it back by UPS on Friday - working as good as ever. :)

Hope they keep fixing Photobridge's - I have three more that could go out any day now.

Very happy.

Bill

Burkhardi

Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:00 am

Bill, Send them in one at a time and have them reworked if you want. At least this way you'll have the down time when YOU choose it.
Reagrds, Matt

TO EVERYONE THAT HAS RESPONDED about their service, thanks for the great feed back and taking time to post about it.

Bill123 wrote:
Another Pyramid-Audio fan here. One of my Rev B units broke on Sunday - I mailed it on Monday and received it back by UPS on Friday - working as good as ever. :)

Hope they keep fixing Photobridge's - I have three more that could go out any day now.

Very happy.

Bill

DaMutha

Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:37 am

Add me to the list of happy Pyramid Audio customers---I'm back in business!

sansp00

Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:40 am

Me too, me too :)
Im a happy camper since ...
Patrick S.
Roku HD1000 (revived!), R1000 x2, M1001 x2
Linksys NSLU2 with Firefly
Netgear WGR614,JGS516,GS608,GS605 x3