Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Chavez
Topic Author

Observations on SB PSU

Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:36 am

I got my ROKU-issued replacement PSU for my M1001 yesterday and for what its worth I have a few observations around the whole PSU experience...

...looking back I have the feeling that the old PSU didnt just up and die all at once...I think it deteriorated bit by bit and that there were some tell-tale warning signs...if I'm correct about that I would now get a replacement PSU right away rather than waiting till it was completely kaputt...

...a month or so before it died I had noticed a decline in volume output...I had to crank my receiver to get anything resembling prior normal output levels (SB volume 1000%)...

...2 weeks or so before the end I was hearing an intermittent crackling sound...it would come and go and would only last a second or two...

...2 or 3 days before the PSU died the SB began rebooting itself without warning...this would happen maybe once or twice every hour or so...

now that I've replaced the PSU all these issues are gone obviously...in fact, I have to say that the SB sounds the best it ever has...the bass response is much more resonant and the overall sound is much more present and clear...it makes me wonder if the PSU that came with my SB ever functioned at full capacity...

...I'm not a very technical person so these are just observations...I guess my question to the better informed folks here is whether I'm imagining all this...is it possible that the PSU suffers a decline in performance prior to finally dying altogether?...it that's the case then it's possible to recognize the symptoms and replace the PSU in time rather than going without the SB for 10 days waiting for a new one...

interested to hear from the experts on this...cheers...

alanmc

Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:26 pm

So now's the very time to get yourself a decent PSU -
In the USA I would get a PHIHONG Model # PSA15R-050P (5volt 3amp) – As this is a “Wall-Wartâ€

Chavez
Topic Author

Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:22 am

is this it Alan?... http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDet ... GHyQ%3D%3D

for what it's worth, I'll take that fan club President job...I don't think there'd be a forum without you at this point...how about "NO TACT - JUST FACT" as your motto?...cheers...

alanmc

Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:20 am

Hi Chavez,
that link appears to show the Phihong 5v 3a wall-wart I suggested, however I've no idea why Mouser list it having a 'suffix' of R, whereas on the manufacturer's datasheet pdf you'll see it's 'suffix' is shown printed by Phihong as P -
You could of course give Mouser a call to ensure it comes with a USA power-plug that fits your wall socket.

BTW - there are, by my standards, about 8 of us 'regulars' who all try hard to resolve user problems as Roku themselves no longer participate in offering such solutions :wink:

Phorrest

Observations on SB PSU

Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:48 pm

Alan - I have seen some of the more experienced posters on here advocate even more current capability than 3 A. On the Mouser site, there's PSU that's a 4-A device:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mea ... kK7BpvY%3d

Since it's essentially the same price, can you think of a reason why I should get the 15-W PSU instead of this 20-W supply?

Thanks.

alanmc

Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:09 am

As I have no experience of the PSU you mention, I will not comment on that unit. Here in the UK I am a great advocate of using a particular PSU for the M1001 sold by one of our larger electronics 'chain-stores' that offers a regulated 5v at 4a output.

However to my certain knowledge both the PHIHONG Model # PSA15R-050 (5volt 3amp) – a “Wall-Wartâ€

Phorrest

Observations on SB PSU

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:51 am

Alan - Thanks for the quick reply, and all the information! Since you answered my primary concerns, I went ahead and ordered the Mean Well PSU. The operational specs between the Mean Well and the Phihong supplies are virtually identical. Furthermore, Mean Well even lists a mean-time between failure (MTBF) for their device of 500 Khours. Finally, the Mean Well's output cable comes with a ferrite choke already on it.

I'll post back on here with results (e.g., operational temperature) once I get the device and have a chance to compare it to the PSU shipped by Roku.

Thanks!

Phorrest

RE: Observations on SB PSU

Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:47 pm

OK, I got the Mean Well 5-volt 4-ampere PSU from Mouser:

Mouser P/N: 709-GS25U05-P1J
Mean Well P/N: GS25U05-P1J.

Mouser shipped for free (here in the US), so I paid a total of ~ US$18 for the unit.

The original PSU from Roku is a 5-volt 1.5-ampere unit. Before changing over to the new PSU, I used a thermocouple to measure the operational case temperature of the PSU that Roku shipped with my M1001. It registered 34 °C, and was noticeably warm to the touch (hot, actually).

The new Mean Well PSU runs at room temperature - the thermocouple taped to the new PSU measured the same temperature as when it was taped to the wall (23 °C).

It's possible that music through my M1001 now plays a little "cleaner" with the new PSU (no hiss or pops), but that could just be my imagination. It certainly plays cleanly, but I never really noticed that much of a fidelity problem before...

At any rate, I'm happy to report that the new "beefier" PSU runs much cooler than did the tiny unit that Roku sent with my M1001, and I am confident in stating that the 20-watt Mean Well PSU is a good replacement for the as-supplied Roku PSU.

Matt L

Buzzing hum with the Mean Well PSU

Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:10 pm

I just bought the Mean Well PSU with the part number same as mentioned above. My Soundbridge M1001 (badged as M1000) sprang back to life, but now there is a very loud buzzing hum that makes it unusable. Had no problem with any hum with the original Roku power supply that crapped out. Am I doing anything wrong? I tried another outlet, a different input on the receiver it is going through, no luck

Matt L

False Alarm

Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:53 pm

Had the audio out plugged into the wrong part of the SB. All better now. This info on the boards stopped me from junking the SB!

Phorrest

RE: False Alarm

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:35 pm

Matt: Glad you were able to find the solution to your problem.

I'm hopeful that, with an appropriate PSU, the SB will run without problems for a very long time. I love what SB + Pandora have done for my home!

Ollie

Re: Observations on SB PSU

Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:35 am

Hi alanmc

Here in the UK I am a great advocate of using a particular PSU for the M1001 sold by one of our larger electronics 'chain-stores' that offers a regulated 5v at 4a output

Can you provide me with the Maplins (I presume you mean them) model no for your recommended PSU

Thanks

S80_UK

Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:14 am

Ollie wrote:
Hi alanmc

Here in the UK I am a great advocate of using a particular PSU for the M1001 sold by one of our larger electronics 'chain-stores' that offers a regulated 5v at 4a output

Can you provide me with the Maplins (I presume you mean them) model no for your recommended PSU

Thanks

Not sure if Alan's around - he's not been on the forum much recently. His email referred to Maplin part number L45BL, 5 volt 4 amp supply - usable with the M1001 (connectors at the back). Note that Maplin may have changed the contents of the box to include 90-degree adaptors for the connector. These will not fit the M1001 I think, but since Maplin also sell straight adaptors they may allow you to swap (you can only ask...). Size you need is 5.5mm outside diameter, 2.1mm internal (a very popular size). For the M1000 (connectors at the side under the end-caps) use Maplin part number L46BL (9 volts 2 amps). In both cases the polarity is important - centre contact must be positive. If you have connectors at the back, but it says M1000 on the front, it is really an M1001, so go with the first part number.

Cheers,

Les.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

Ollie

Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:14 am

Thanks Les,

I'll pop into Maplins and pick one up this evening; I have a Pinnacle badged M1001 and have managed to get it to work using a 90 degree adaptor borrowed from my wireless router. Thanks to the help from this board my M1001 has been saved :D

Cheers

Oliver

cadbusca

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:09 am

Chavez, what you described is exactly what happened to my old PSU: the resets and everything else and today it died.
I´m using my old iomega zip drive font (a tip from chaninator) and my Roku is back to life.

Thanks,

João