Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

nowhereman
Topic Author

RadioTime

Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:25 am

Just wanted to share something I've been hacking at the last couple of evenings. A dedicated Internet Radio channel built around a large, existing, online database of streams. This represents only a few days work, is very much alpha quality, and is not recommended for the faint of heart. Enjoy!

There are a number of streams that, for reasons I have yet to unearth, will not play on the box. When you attempt to play one of these, the channel will kick you back out to the poster screen after a few seconds of trying.

And thanks to kc8pql for turning me on to RadioTime.com, whose API was joyously easy to integrate into a channel.

Channel code: SYP7G
Last edited by nowhereman on Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:59 pm

Thanks!!!

harvey100529

Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:09 pm

great :D Harvey

dougrb

Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:06 pm

Very Nice! Thanks.

I did notice on two stations that wouldn't play on the Roku that they also wouldn't play on the PC.

senorgregster

Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:08 pm

Just installed. Thanks. Feedback soon.

canaws

Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:11 pm

Look awesome so far! I'll try testing stations.
Quick thought: A favorites (like on PodTV) would be a great addition. There are a lot of stations. =)
Roku 3 (4230X) / 42" Sharp LED 1080p HDTV / RadioShack Amplified Indoor Antenna
Roku SE (2710X) / 25" Sharp SDTV / GE Indoor Antenna
ATT Uverse 18.0 Mbps / Motorola NVG589 Gateway

kc8pql

Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:19 pm

So far, this is great. It's sooo much easier to use than the Media Center version I've been using. Thanks again. :D

kc8pql

Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:25 pm

dougrb wrote:
Very Nice! Thanks.

I did notice on two stations that wouldn't play on the Roku that they also wouldn't play on the PC.

That's probably not software related. After several years of using Radio Time through Media Center, I've noticed that some stations streams are more reliable than others.

techn0lizard

Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:28 pm

Thanks for this! So far it works perfectly, although I do know from previous experience to let it buffer a bit before moving on! Do you ever sleep? I hope that Roku puts you on the payroll! (You are going to singlehandedly make the 100 channels mark yourself aren't you!) The funny thing is that I never even looked at who posted the channel before I added it. When I came back to comment I actually looked just like this: :shock:

How long in actual time did you spend in working on these channels? Just ball park it, what, 8 hours a day--a week, month? Just curious I guess.
Very funny Scotty now beam down my pants!!!!

DeftOne

Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:47 pm

After successfully listening to a few stations, I can no longer get any station to play -- including the ones that were previously successful. The ones that worked previously do NOT kick me back to the previous screen right away, but the audio just never seems to come through. I thought maybe the streams might have been full, but after trying a dozen or so stations without success, that seems unlikely. I tried leaving the channel and re-entering, and even playing something else from another channel, and then going back and trying again but it still didn't work. I have not tried reseting the box yet.

Any chance of adding a "Favorites" section like you did with the Pod TV channel? Also, is it possible to grab the stream meta-data (artist, album, song title, etc) and display it on-screen? Most internet radio stations provide this info in the meta-data, but I wasn't sure if it's possible for you to access it.

Anyway, it appears to be a great start! Thanks!
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Netgear WNDR3400 (all Rokus wireless)
25 Mbps

nowhereman
Topic Author

Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:23 pm

techn0lizard wrote:
Thanks for this! So far it works perfectly, although I do know from previous experience to let it buffer a bit before moving on! Do you ever sleep? I hope that Roku puts you on the payroll! (You are going to singlehandedly make the 100 channels mark yourself aren't you!) The funny thing is that I never even looked at who posted the channel before I added it. When I came back to comment I actually looked just like this: :shock:

How long in actual time did you spend in working on these channels? Just ball park it, what, 8 hours a day--a week, month? Just curious I guess.

Stream Tuner, in its current form, represents about 10 hours of work. Pod TV is much more mature and is probably into triple digits. At the moment, I have about 20 hours a week that I'm able to devote to projects like these.
Last edited by nowhereman on Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nowhereman
Topic Author

Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:26 pm

DeftOne wrote:
Any chance of adding a "Favorites" section like you did with the Pod TV channel? Also, is it possible to grab the stream meta-data (artist, album, song title, etc) and display it on-screen? Most internet radio stations provide this info in the meta-data, but I wasn't sure if it's possible for you to access it.

Anyway, it appears to be a great start! Thanks!

A favorites feature would most likely have to be done differently than with Pod TV. Stream Tuner is different in that it works entirely by your box talking to radiotime.com. Most likely, a favorites mechanism would have to involve you signing up with them, linking your box, etc. I really haven't explored what's possible in that dept just yet though, so don't quote me on that.

The radiotime.com API does provide the track that is playing at the time you first launch a stream, but live updating of that data is something else I have not begun to explore.

rogermjohnson

Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:31 pm

Thanks a bunch!!! Now I can listen to KLOS out of Los Angeles! Ive been missing it since I moved to the corn belt... about the only thing I miss about LA! Thanks...
Check out my 'Classic Rock' radio station...
It's sugar free, fat free, and commercial free!

Voice Of Belle Plaine 92.9 fm

www.vobp.itgo.com

canaws

Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:57 pm

I've had no problems with it, except for the expected issue of some of the channels kicking me back to the main menu. Some of the feeds also take quite a while to load, but I imagine that's a feed/internet related a problem.

I think my mother will like this a lot. i just have to convince her she won't break the box if she uses it when I'm not around. :wink:
Roku 3 (4230X) / 42" Sharp LED 1080p HDTV / RadioShack Amplified Indoor Antenna
Roku SE (2710X) / 25" Sharp SDTV / GE Indoor Antenna
ATT Uverse 18.0 Mbps / Motorola NVG589 Gateway

hoffmcs

Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:09 am

I was just discussing creating a channel with RadioTime. I am going to send you some of the suggestions they provided me. Maybe I can assist with this channel.

Chris