Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Sasquatch
Topic Author

What do you supplement your Roku with?

Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:59 am

I've had my Roku for about a month, and I'm really digging it. I'm using Chaneru to also stream my movies, etc from my desktop computer and when i get home today I'm probably going to hook up an indoor HD antenna I have just collecting dust, and I'll probably connect a VGA cable just so I can stream things I miss like BBC, boxing, basketball, and cycling directly from my laptop to my TV (quality about the same as Justin.tv channel, but better than nothing). I'm curious what other more experienced users are using to augment their Roku?

stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Re: What do you supplement your Roku with?

Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:04 am

Sasquatch wrote:
I've had my Roku for about a month, and I'm really digging it. I'm using Chaneru to also stream my movies, etc from my desktop computer and when i get home today I'm probably going to hook up an indoor HD antenna I have just collecting dust, and I'll probably connect a VGA cable just so I can stream things I miss like BBC, boxing, basketball, and cycling directly from my laptop to my TV (quality about the same as Justin.tv channel, but better than nothing). I'm curious what other more experienced users are using to augment their Roku?

OTA antenna and alcohol...lots of it ;)

Sasquatch
Topic Author

Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:05 am

..can't hurt... :D

SuetyStanes

Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:22 am

I also use an OTA antenna and converter box for the rare moments that I want to watch actual television. Typically that's for sports. It's weird how much I've gotten used to not watching commercials.

I also have a WD TV Mini set up for watching other stuff that I've downloaded/recorded. I was going the route of streaming using Chaneru for a while, but I like being able to do other things with my computer, or have it off, while watching some stuff. And I wasn't all that excited about converting all of my files to something the Roku could read. On sale for $35 at Newegg was a deal I couldn't pass up.

jemjaguar

Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:46 am

Currently, I 've got a Roku XDS w/ HuluPlus, Netflix, Amazon On Demand

In addition, I have an RCA multi-directional digital antenna which picks up NBC, ABC, CW, PBS, PBS Kids, Qubo, Ion and a few other local channels all in perfect HD. Unfortunately no CBS and FOX is spotty.

I also have a refurbished WD TV media player that I bought for $50 which does one thing that I wish my Roku box would do: play video and audio off a flash drive without the need to encode said media. This really completes my set up, playing virtually every form A/V file I own. Hopefully, my Roku will be able to do the same thing once the officila USB channel is up and running.

I also frequent the local library which has a selection pretty darn close to Netflix. New movies, classics, Blu-Ray, etc.

mikebdoss

Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:02 pm

I use MyMedia to stream my local content - mostly my daughter's shows that we've acquired via recording over time. It also comes in handy for anything else I "acquire" and can't find elsewhere.

I canceled my cable about 5 months ago, but we still get a weak signal, so some channels come through, and I've got a ReplayTV attached to that to record. The Replay also has a good selection of material that we've recorded. That said, we rarely watch any of the cable content anymore.

Netflix is the majority of our viewing, and we subscribe to Hulu+ as well for OTA shows we can't catch otherwise.

BoloMKXXVIII

Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:58 pm

In addition to my two Rokus I have a Windows 7 PC running Windows Media Center recording OTA HDTV via a cheapo USB tuner. It works great with a WMC remote. The computer is hidden in a cabinet so Idon't see it or hear it. I also run Miro to download audio/video podcasts. Hulu (not +) and Clicker are bookmarked and used occasionally.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

Sasquatch
Topic Author

Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:03 pm

this is a good idea...I have a cheap Win 7 laptop that I was going to use for the occasional stream....I haven't used Win 7 media player, but using a cheap usb tuner, I'd then have some DVR-live ability for OTA. Is that right?

hn333

Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:10 pm

I cut my Roku with baby laxative.

haydeecm

Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:55 pm

We recently cut cable TV. We have a DTVPal HD dual-tuner DVR which together with an indoor antenna does a pretty good job of getting HD content over the air. We are lucky we have great reception of all major networks, CW and PBS, along with others that I really dont watch. Before I got my roku as a gift, I had a Patriot Box Office that I use to stream media such as movies, pictures, and such, from my NAS. Also we have a Netflix membership. So far I am not missing cable TV at all.

jambandit7

Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:13 pm

I supplement by getting with the Mrs. and doing the borehog twist after watching some flix on the XD... :wink:
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Roku2 XD- 3050X/HDMI/Composite Audio
Roku XD-Composite A/V
Roku XD-HDMI
Roku2 4210RW-HDMI

yankee495

Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:42 am

I have a PC hooked up to the HDTV for streaming what the Roku can't. I also have OTA and C/Ku band FTA on a 6 foot satellite dish with TUFF TV, Fuel TV, MeTV, THIS TV, BIO, History, FX, Fox Movies and networks I don't get OTA such as ION, ION Life, CW, RTV, MyTV and stuff.

Haven't had cable in 20 years!

BoloMKXXVIII

Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:35 am

Sasquatch wrote:
this is a good idea...I have a cheap Win 7 laptop that I was going to use for the occasional stream....I haven't used Win 7 media player, but using a cheap usb tuner, I'd then have some DVR-live ability for OTA. Is that right?

Windows 7 comes with Windows Media Center. You can use a mouse but a Media Center Remote makes it work just like a Tivo but without the monthly fees. You even get a free program guide. I bought a cheap Acer computer for this purpose and in the last year it paid for itself by me not having to pay Tivo subscription fees. USB tuners are very cheap and so are Media Center Remotes. The combination of the WMC computer and Roku gives me more content to watch than I could ever have time for. I don't miss cable one bit.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

stratcat96

Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:18 am

jambandit7 wrote:
I supplement by getting with the Mrs. and doing the borehog twist after watching some flix on the XD... :wink:

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! ;)

mommom

Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:24 am

Zinc browser plus Roku plus OTA .Now I am ready to lose the Dishnetwork when the contract runs out.