Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dupondt
Topic Author

Re: Smart Playlist Syntax

Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:20 am

Hi blamm,

using the wizard and looking out its output should give you an idea of the syntax.

Here's an example of a smart playlist containing Pop and Rock music from the 60's:

year >= 1960 AND year <= 1969 AND (genre = "Pop" OR genre = "Rock")

Edit: Thanks to the Wayback Machine the Firefly Wiki is still available: http://web.archive.org/web/20100115065609/http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/Smart_playlists.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

wmike1503

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:46 am

Hi,

New to Firefly.

I am trying to setup a smart playlist that watches a folder on my NAS and keeps it updated in iTunes.

I have no idea how to do this - there is no manual or guidance available that I can find - all wiki links are dead.

Any ideas, anyone, please?

I have a folder on my NAS in the media folder called Guitar Lessons - I want to set this up as a smart playlist that shows in iTunes.

Baffled,

Mike

dupondt
Topic Author

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:56 am

wmike1503 wrote:
all wiki links are dead.

The link to the Firefly Wiki on the Wayback Machine which I included in my above post works fine for me.

Greetings
dupondt

wmike1503

Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:45 am

bregent wrote:
Smart playlists won't update anything. It is simply a script that uses a SQL-Like to build the playlist dynamically. If you go to your Firefly webpage in your browser, you can find the smart playlist menu. From there you can add a new playlist and use the Wizard to generate the SQL. If you want to see everything in a particular folder, you would use the filepath for the criteria; something like: path includes "Guitar Lessons"

Tried this - returns nothing (about 50 tracks in the folder).

I've, obviously misunderstood what the Firefly smart lists do - I thought you defined them and then they show in iTunes - well that's what my server manufacturer, QNAP, suggests.

Oh well, never mind.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Mike

wmike1503

Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:50 am

bregent wrote:
>I thought you defined them and then they show in iTunes -
> well that's what my server manufacturer, QNAP, suggests.

Mike, it certainly might work like that; I don't use iTunes so I don't know. Your original post made it sound like you expected it to update something in iTunes.

Do regular playlists you have in Firefly show up in iTunes? When you define the Smart playlist, do you get an appropriate song count in the Smart Playlist web page?

Hi,

Thanks for that - nope - Firefly doesn't seem to be doing much at all - my normal iTunes playlists are all there (smart playlists - that look at the media directory which is my NAS where Firefly sits. No playlist from the Firefly server showing in iTunes.

Cheers,

Mike

dupondt
Topic Author

Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:15 am

Mike, Bob,

iTunes indeed doesn't show Firefly's playlists, but only the entire music collection.

I don't know which one of the two is the culprit, but in any case there's nothing you can do to resolve the issue as Apple presumably couldn't care less and Firefly is no longer actively supported by the developer.

BTW: It looks as though iTunes 10.5.3 is no longer compatible with Firefly (or vice versa). It sees my Firefly servers but doesn't show their libraries. My Soundbridges and software clients including iTunes 10.3.x have no problems accessing Firefly.

Greetings
dupondt

wmike1503

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:46 am

No surprises there then. Pretty typical of the software / hardware industry. Very little communication between vendors - precious little thought given to the end user.

My QNAP server is a year or so old - Firefly is part of the installed software - QNAP says that Firefly's smartlists should display in iTunes. I would suspect that this has never been the case.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Mike