Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dellsweig
Topic Author

Moving on

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:34 am

I currently own 2 Roku players and a Roku Soundbridge. I have logged many hours on the units as well as participated in various Roku Betas along the way. I have even dabbled in writing some brightscript and loading it up on my player...

Taking a look aorund my living room I see my HDTV on the wall, I still have a cable box, a DVD and my Roku.... Elsewhere in my living room are two Ipads, two iPhones and a lonely laptop computer (with lots of dust on it)...

I share ALL of my media between my home file sever and my iDevices. Some of my media reaches my Roku (thanks to myMedia)...

The first big disapointment with the Roku was the lack of AirPlay support. Granted this is a licensed technology but all one has to do is look at Apples share of the market between iPads and Iphones (as well as mac's). It doesnt make any sense why Roku has not gone the extra mile to tap into this stream.

With the current Apple TV offering being roughly equivlent to Roku and the pending launch of Itv, I do not see a place for my Roku anymore...

Next disappointment is the content... Just as in mobile devices 99% of the "apps"/content is crap. The real draw for a connected device has to be interoperability, not stand alone apps. I can look at any media (cable based, inernet based, local photo library, music, video, etc) on my Ipad - if only I could 'beam' that content to the big screen on the wall.... AppleTV can do it - Roku cant.....

I am not an apple Person of Good Streaming Taste. There are other vendors out there licensing the technology and building it into their products. My home computers all run Microsoft though Apple is making that a difficult choice too....

CES came and went without a wimper from Roku (except the stick thingy)

The little Roku box has let the industry pass it by... I really dont need an extra box just to watch an occasional Netflx movie in HD

It will be sad to see the Roku boxes in the technology graveyard, next to the zip drive.........
Going where the wind don't blow so strange

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Moving on

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:37 am

You had me and then you lost me..

The Roku doesn't serve your needs anymore- that doesn't mean (and the numbers prove it) that the Roku doesn't server others' needs.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

dellsweig
Topic Author

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:39 am

jeffrok wrote:

The Roku doesn't serve your needs anymore- that doesn't mean (and the numbers prove it) that the Roku doesn't server others' needs.

Very true - but Roku made its mark by being different - a little cutting edge....

You cant be complacent in the technology/entertainment industry......
Going where the wind don't blow so strange

mikebdoss

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:46 am

dellsweig wrote:
jeffrok wrote:

Very true - but Roku made its mark by being different - a little cutting edge....

You cant be complacent in the technology/entertainment industry......

Yep, very complacent. More channels than any other box out there, new models and features every year, smaller footprints and power consumption, open SDK...they're stuck in the mud!

I love my Apple devices too, but lack of Airplay support is an Apple decision, NOT a Roku decision. And as far as content (even if you think most of it is crap), what stb product has more/better stuff?

If you're done with yours, that's fine, but I've done a lot of shopping, and nothing streams better than a Roku.

mkiker2089

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:02 pm

Streaming local media is a dead niche. You like it but it's not something the market is really needing to focus on. Streaming's future is from a net server (ala Netflix) where the license owner has some control and end user doesn't have to buy a terrabyte hard drive to store their library. That's the future.

Mostly pirates need local streaming.

Why are you "occasionally" watching a Netflix movie also? Are you torrenting movies?
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

mkiker2089

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:07 pm

Let me add that Roku will one day go to the graveyard. Such is the nature of the world. However when it does it will be next to the dot matrix printer, the VCR, the car phone, etc.. Technology changes but that doesn't mean that those things were ever bad nor does it mean the company failed. The Roku1 is retiring gracefully and one day the Roku3 will be here.
-Marshall-

stratcat96

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:13 pm

I have posted many times about how nice the WD Live player is for its user interface, options, and ability to customize, local playback, as well as its streaming services. I've used and owned several different makes and models of streaming players but I use my Rokus probably 95% of time because the ease of use and the breadth of selections just can't be beat. Sure there are players out there that look and act slicker than Roku, but there's just something about the Roku that makes it very tough to put down in favor of something else. Of course if the Roku doesn't fit your particular needs there's nothing wrong with it or you, you just aren't right for eachother. Just like dating ;)

gonzotek

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:02 pm

Re: Airplay and AppleTV. Before you ditch your Rokus for AppleTV/iTV, be aware that content providers can limit the ability of iDevices to send content to AppleTV. HBOGO does it already.

Also, while Airplay is license-able, I understand that it is (very) expensive for device manufacturers to license. How many inexpensive(<$99) 3rd party video-capable Airplay devices are on the market today? Additionally, Apple may also not be interested in licensing the technology to a direct competitor like Roku.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

robertm

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:11 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:
Streaming local media is a dead niche. You like it but it's not something the market is really needing to focus on. Streaming's future is from a net server (ala Netflix) where the license owner has some control and end user doesn't have to buy a terrabyte hard drive to store their library. That's the future.

Why are you "occasionally" watching a Netflix movie also? Are you torrenting movies?

I disagree. I think local streaming's heyday is in front of us not behind. More and more people are downloading videos from services like Itunes. It is just a matter of time before they start looking at their DVD collections and start wondering if they could merge the two. The only thing really missing from the equation is a more user-friendly manner of ripping.

I also think that content owners are going to continue to stick with removeable media for quite some time to come and some of our favorite movies may not be available in a streaming format for many years.

Also, I don't think that saying local streaming is mostly for pirates is something you could possibly know. I know there are a lot of pirates out there but there are also a lot of us that paid thousands of dollars on DVDs.

gonzotek

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:24 pm

robertm wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:

I disagree. I think local streaming's heyday is in front of us not behind. More and more people are downloading videos from services like Itunes. It is just a matter of time before they start looking at their DVD collections and start wondering if they could merge the two. The only thing really missing from the equation is a more user-friendly manner of ripping.

I also think that content owners are going to continue to stick with removeable media for quite some time to come and some of our favorite movies may not be available in a streaming format for many years.

Also, I don't think that saying local streaming is mostly for pirates is something you could possibly know. I know there are a lot of pirates out there but there are also a lot of us that paid thousands of dollars on DVDs.

DVD sales are shrinking[1], itunes video content is encrypted(so no local network playback unless you're in Apple's ecosystem), and blu-ray is not ever expected to gain the same traction that dvd once had[2].

Basically, the kind of content that was once ALWAYS eventually made available on dvd will become (physically) scarcer and scarcer. On-Demand services from cable and the internet will be competing with physical media, which requires valuable self-space in brick-and-mortar stores (see also the shrinking packaged disc sections[3] at your local retailer, and revisit in two years or so to see if they've grown or shrunk further). If they can't acquire the content physically in the first place, local streaming obviously becomes less useful to a user.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

TheEndless

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:53 pm

dellsweig wrote:
The first big disapointment with the Roku was the lack of AirPlay support. Granted this is a licensed technology but all one has to do is look at Apples share of the market between iPads and Iphones (as well as mac's). It doesnt make any sense why Roku has not gone the extra mile to tap into this stream.

I'm pretty sure that Apple is currently only licensing the audio version of Airplay. The only 3rd party AirPlay video capable products out there have been enabled via 3rd party software that has reverse engineered the protocol (and encryption key), which, if I'm not mistaken, is against the TOU. AirPlay mirroring which you're more likely referring to, hasn't even been reverse engineered, yet. That aside, to site the that lack of AirPlay support as one of the main reasons you're dropping the Roku, when no competitor out there offers it aside from Apple TV, is a bit silly, IMO. To further turn around and complain about a lack of significant presence at CES, when the device you're clearly suggesting that you're switching to (again Apple TV) had absolutely no presence at all is just further silliness. If you want to switch to Apple TV, go for it, but if you're wanting to take parting shots at Roku for some reason, at least come up with constructive ones.

FWIW, I own an Apple TV, a WD TV Live, a Boxee Box, a Google TV, a HTPC, and numerous Rokus. The Rokus, WD, and HTPC get used more than any of the others, but there's no law that I'm aware of that prevents you from owning devices from more than one manufacturer.
Last edited by TheEndless on Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

mkiker2089

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:57 pm

You also have to consider

1- technically it's legal to own a digital copy via first sale doctrine but it's also copyright infringement due to similar contradictory rulings and the process of ripping the content has also come under fire.

2- realistically how many people who stream actually own the content versus those who use that as an excuse and how many people delete the digital version when the sell, lose, or damage the disc?

At any point the future isn't local streaming. iTunes style downloading is not in favor with Hollywood and is NOT how they are going to sell when they can force people away from it (see the UltraViolet fiasco as proof that they are trying).
-Marshall-

mkiker2089

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:04 pm

I forgot a subset to point 2 in that many times digital content is more expensive than the disc version when it comes to video. Music is different but movies are not going to download and own anytime soon. Packed in digital copies are a low quality exception that are probably going to go away soon anyhow.
-Marshall-

jeffrok

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:23 pm

It's just silly to say the Roku is behind the times simply because they don't move with every trend that Apple sets.

Yes, Apple revolutionized the portable media player and cell phone market, but I don't think everything Apple does is awesome.. And just because you can stream via Airplay to your TV with an AppleTV2 but your can't with a Roku, doesn't make the Roku behind the times.. The Roku does MANY things the AppleTV2 can't, yeah, the ATV2 is flashier and more elegant looking, it still only gives you so much content. And if you really want streaming with your Roku, Roku ALLOWS you to use private channels to stream your local media, unlike Apple. Is it as pretty?

No, but as others have said, what % of users these days (and I say these days because let's talk about how we use our devices NOW, not 1 or 2 years from now) actually use their players for streaming local movies? I have well over 150 movies in my collection, and that's nothing compared to some people. How many are going to want to rip all of their DVDs to multi-terabyte hard drives (which can die)? The ripping alone takes HOURS per DVD if you do it right. Most people just aren't going to want to dedicate months of their lives to rip their DVDs. Also as others have said, that's the reason why streaming is so popular. I've even bought Amazon titles after initially swearing I'd never do it. Having a "virtual" library is pretty cool (assuming Amazon doesn't fold anytime soon!) once you start.. Yeah, I wish digital "ownership" was cheaper, but the convenience it nice, and I feel good about not pirating.

It's good you discovered what works for you, but no need to come here and declare the Roku box dead.. That's just looking way too far ahead.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

socantra

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:32 pm

Everyone has to make their own decisions about moving on, but if you are just going to consign your Roku's to your technology graveyard, I might suggest that you make an effort to pass them on to someone with fewer resources than you. I mean the video players, since I seem to remember you saying last fall that the Soundbridge didn't work anymore anyway.

I'm not suggesting that you send them to me (though I wouldn't mind), but perhaps you have poor relatives or neighbors who might appreciate the Roku's.

What ever you move on to, I'm sure we all wish you yje best of luck in the future. :)
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.