Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

keepitsimpleengineer
Topic Author

[Solved] Roku 3 no audio on HDMI

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:28 am

So I buy a Roku 3 in April, receive it and test on my Samsung flat-screen TV. It works for a while then suddenly video without audio. After swapping around HDMI cables and HDMI input ports, I find that the problem is the audio on the HDMI port the Roku 3 was plugged into (#2). Grumble. But since I only need one because I would be running all HDMI inputs through the Pioneer receiver, I could live with it.

Last night, after enjoying Netflix on Roku 3, suddenly video with no audio. Same thing, the HDMI port on the receiver no longer passes audio – just as in the Samsung flat-screen.

I test the HDMI-in port on the receiver the Roku 3 was using, and there was video but no audio using my DVR and Blu-ray player HDMI inputs. Also, the Roku produces audio and video when plugged into another HDMI-in port on the receiver.

It seems unlikely that any device outputting audio and video could kill just the audio and leave the video for a HDMI-in port, but I have no other explanation.

If this is the case what to do? The Roku player has damaged a very expensive flat-screen and a HDMI receiver?

Channel name.
All (only watch Netflix)

Channel version (Home 3x, Up 2x, Left, Right, Left, Right, Left)
No idea what this means?

What is the issue being reported?
No sound on HDMI suddenly after working before
– and the HDMI port will no longer accept audi from other devices

What are the steps to reproduce?
Random (1st after a few hours, 2nd after a few weeks)

Is it reproducible (how many times out of 5 does this happen)?
2 out of 2 (meaning different devices)

What is the serial number of the box? (Found on the bottom of the unit labeled ‘SERIAL NO’ and in Settings -> About, ‘Serial number’.)
Roku 3 ~ Model 4200 ~ 1GH32FO13414

What software version is the box running? (Roku2 = Settings > About ----- Roku1 = Settings >Player Info)
Roku 3 ~ S/W Ver. 5.0-8045

Code for the channel installed.
???
Is the box connected to the internet via wireless or a wired connection? (Wifi or Ethernet.)
Wired
What signal strength is the box reporting if connected to the internet via Wifi? (Roku2 = Settings > About, labeled "Wireless signal strength" ----- Roku1 = Settings > Network)
n/a
What type of internet service does the user have? (DSL, Cable, T1, Fiber, Satellite, etc
cable
(comcast measured 56.54 Mbps down, 10.78 Mbps up)
How is the box connected to the TV (HDMI, Composite, Component)?
Roku 3 -HDMI
-> Receiver -HDMI-> HDTV
What resolution is being used?
If it is a paid channel is the user a subscriber/member, and for how long?
Since 1999 (Netflix since they started streaming)

Television Make/Model
Samsung Model LN55C650 s/w 2011-01-31_00135 (HDMI-in #2) s/n Z10W3CCB101433A
Receiver Make/Model
Pioneer VSX-520-K s/n KDGH063463UC
Last edited by keepitsimpleengineer on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Al Einstein: "Man soll die Dinge so einfach machen wie möglich ~ aber nicht einfacher." (Things should be as simple as possible ~ but not too simple.)

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku 3 no audio on HDMI

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:49 am

Just to give you little more information, the Roku doesn't decode or amplify any audio. It just passes it through at line level to the TV or receiver to decode.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:52 am

I don't see how the HDMI on the Roku could cause an issue or failure of the HDMI on another component/TV. It's far more likely that the ports could already have been bad/damaged, and plugging in and out caused the actual issue.

My first stop would be to contact CS. I'd probably contact the CS for the TV/AVR as well, just to cover the bases.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

keepitsimpleengineer
Topic Author

Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:58 am

RokuShawnS wrote:
I don't see how the HDMI on the Roku could cause an issue or failure of the HDMI on another component/TV. It's far more likely that the ports could already have been bad/damaged, and plugging in and out caused the actual issue.

My first stop would be to contact CS. I'd probably contact the CS for the TV/AVR as well, just to cover the bases.

C. Shawn Smith

I don't see how either. The Roku 3 and DVR are on with internet connection 24/7. The receiver and TV are turned off and on as needed. Receiver gets audio from TV via optical
TV -optical-> Receiver

However, the Roku 3 is the only common device in both occurances. I don't see how plugging in/out because one day it worked and the next day it didn't - without any changes in the cables and ports - the Roku 3 stays in a cupboard with the receiver.

Before: audio and video via the HDMI in port far all devices. After: Only video no audio on the same port for all devices. While the Roku 3 device via HDMI to a different port works both audio and video. The Roku 3 is on with internet connection 24/7.

In the meanwhile, I'm afraid to use the Roku lest it smite another HDMI in port. I could use some help.

Roku CS unresponsive, Pioneer emailed, Samsung in the works.
Al Einstein: "Man soll die Dinge so einfach machen wie möglich ~ aber nicht einfacher." (Things should be as simple as possible ~ but not too simple.)

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:17 pm

When you do get in touch with CS, be sure to note your ticket number. I'll be able to follow-up with CS management afterwards.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:24 pm

Receiver gets audio from TV via optical
TV -optical-> Receiver

OP. Do you have Netflix set to stereo or 5.1 audio?
Netflix 5.1 is DD+, which can't be passed via optical.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

RickRansom

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:34 pm

keepitsimpleengineer wrote:
I don't see how either. The Roku 3 and DVR are on with internet connection 24/7. The receiver and TV are turned off and on as needed. Receiver gets audio from TV via optical
TV -optical-> Receiver...

I thought you listed this in your first post:
keepitsimpleengineer wrote:
How is the box connected to the TV (HDMI, Composite, Component)?
Roku 3 -HDMI -> Receiver -HDMI-> HDTV

There was a long thread about audio issues with the 522 so I think that's unrelated.

If you have the Roku player set to output 5.1 audio but have it connected to the TV, you need to change it to stereo because page 11 of your TV's manual says that:
When the source is a digital component such as a DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB 
(Set-Top-Box) satellite receiver and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 CH audio will be heard from the
amplifier or DVD home theater. If you want to hear 5.1 CH audio, connect the digital audio out jack from your
DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB satellite receiver directly to an amplifier or home theater.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201009/20100906130822796/[LC650-ZA]BN68-02541A-04Eng.pdf

If you set the Roku player to output stereo and connect it to your TV or receiver, can you get audio on either?
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games

keepitsimpleengineer
Topic Author

Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:39 am

kc8pql wrote:
TV -optical-> Receiver

Setup is [Roku3,Blu-ray,and DVR]}-HDMI->Receiver-HDMI->TV
for watching TV, it's [TV]}-Optical->Receiver

keepitsimpleengineer
Topic Author

Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:45 am

RokuShawnS wrote:
When you do get in touch with CS, be sure to note your ticket number. I'll be able to follow-up with CS management afterwards.

C. Shawn Smith

No ticket number, just this:
ROKU Technical Support <help@roku.com> wrote:
Please note that the below has been entered:

Dear L. Johnson,

We appreciate your time in reaching Roku Email Support. We apologized for the delayed response.

We are very sorry to hear about the trouble you are having on your Roku 3 player wherein there is no audio
when streaming. We look forward to straighten this out. We also found out that you posted the same concern
on our forums page. We would like to know if you have already tried the suggested steps on the forums page
and if it resolved the issue.

We would like to verify the following information so we can further isolate on the issue:

> Your current AV setup:
Is it: TV receiver Roku player; or
TV receiver Roku player

> Does this happen in all the channels? Please try the following channels: Crackle, Pandora, Disney, PBS

Please know that we also have other Roku volunteers that are knowledgeable and willing to help and have posted on the forums page in response to your concern that you can try. We have reviewed their suggestions
and we would also offer the same thing.

We will appreciate it if you provide us feedback if the issue is resolved or not. We assure you that we will do our
very best to help.

If you have other questions, you may reach us through our convenient modes of contact options by visiting this
link: http://support.roku.com/entries/413244-contact-support

Have a pleasant day!

Sincerely,

Kate
Roku Support Group
Roku, Inc.

keepitsimpleengineer
Topic Author

Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:56 am

RickRansom wrote:
If you set the Roku player to output stereo and connect it to your TV or receiver, can you get audio on either?

No audio with any setting from Roku3 when connected to the receiver on Roku3's original HDMI in port. When connected to another HDMI in port (i.e. the original in port for the DVR or Blu-ray) on the receiver, full video and audio.

The DVR and Blu-ray show the same behavior.

keepitsimpleengineer
Topic Author

Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:02 am

RokuShawnS wrote:

C. Shawn Smith

Found the case ID in the email's header⋯ CaseID #2069072

keepitsimpleengineer
Topic Author

Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:11 am

kc8pql wrote:
TV -optical-> Receiver

Netflix is set to 5.1 DD+, which the VSX-520-K handles.

After I got the system sorted (by replacing the receiver that claimed to support DD+ with one that actually did) the setup worked very nicely.

Then a few days ago it just stopped doing audio.

The Roku3 and receiver, DVR and Blu-ray are in a cupboard, and access to cabling requires a trip to the laundry room, removing a cork-board and opening a panel which is the back of the cupboard. Thus I'm pretty sure the cabling was not changed.

keepitsimpleengineer
Topic Author

Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:24 am

kc8pql wrote:
Just to give you little more information, the Roku doesn't decode or amplify any audio. It just passes it through at line level to the TV or receiver to decode.

True for the most part, actually it converts the TCP/IP packets to encoded audio/video for HDMI out. The receiver either optionally passes along the audio to its HDMI out, or it decodes/processes the audio and drives the speakers. In my case it is the latter, and the speakers on the TV are disabled.

RickRansom

Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:09 am

Can you double-check if your receiver is set to output audio to the TV or speakers? I think it's called AMP/THRU on Pioneer sets, not 100% sure.
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games

keepitsimpleengineer
Topic Author

Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:08 am

RickRansom wrote:
Can you double-check if your receiver is set to output audio to the TV or speakers? I think it's called AMP/THRU on Pioneer sets, not 100% sure.

You are correct. And it is set to AMP.