Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

BandedHawk
Topic Author

Problem playing purchased movies on Youtube

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:05 am

I've got a Roku 3 - latest firmware. I tried playing a purchased movie registered with Youtube on the Youtube channel last night. It comes up with an "playback error : playback not supported on this device" message when playing the movie. Previously (like on Thursday), I was able to play my Youtube registered movies. Has something changed and are we now blocked from doing that? Because that would seriously suck.

johninFL

Re: Problem playing purchased movies on Youtube

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:00 pm

BandedHawk wrote:
I've got a Roku 3 - latest firmware. I tried playing a purchased movie registered with Youtube on the Youtube channel last night. It comes up with an "playback error : playback not supported on this device" message when playing the movie. Previously (like on Thursday), I was able to play my Youtube registered movies. Has something changed and are we now blocked from doing that? Because that would seriously suck.

I've occasionally run into the same problem watching movies on YT thru my Roku.I've always assumed the video stream is for whatever reason incompatible with Roku (but will play on my laptop) and isn't playable thru Roku.On these occasions i connect my laptop to the tv and watch that way.

Maybe someone more knowledgable than me will chime in and explain why this happens.I'd like to know too.

thetick

Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:43 pm

johninFL wrote:
... explain why this happens.I'd like to know too.

Please post a link to such a video. I have not experienced any video that doesn't play except Live streams which are not supported on any settop box.
Last edited by thetick on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / Disney XD / PBS / Smithsonian
PC / Chromecast for all other media
Verizon FIOS

BandedHawk
Topic Author

Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:56 pm

Ok.

So "Kung Fu Panda" for my son - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BrsPWuT2OQ (you need to have purchased or paid for rental of the movie to watch it).

So playing this movie used to work with the official Youtube channel last week. Now it doesn't.

thetick

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:48 pm

The preview played fine for me using the send to TV feature from my web browser. I'm not planning on renting the movie to see if then entire movie plays , but I guess it should if preview plays.
Do other Youtube videos play fine on your Roku?
Last edited by thetick on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / Disney XD / PBS / Smithsonian
PC / Chromecast for all other media
Verizon FIOS

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:51 pm

BandedHawk wrote:
Ok.

So "Kung Fu Panda" for my son - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BrsPWuT2OQ (you need to have purchased or paid for rental of the movie to watch it).

So playing this movie used to work with the official Youtube channel last week. Now it doesn't.

Which particular rental did you purchase?

Movie rental - $2.99
HD movie rental - $3.99
Movie purchase - $9.99
HD movie purchase - $17.99

Plus, did you pair a phone/pad to your account, etc? I'm looking for all the variables that happened during your purchase to replicate it on my end.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

BandedHawk
Topic Author

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:37 am

I actually purchased the title in HD. But I've got a number of movie purchases under Youtube/Google Play - all HD. But the problem didn't occur at purchase time. I actually bought Kung Fu Panda and How To Train Your Dragon on Christmas week and we've actually played them quite a few times on the Roku 3 on Youtube channel.

It's just that since the weekend, movies no longer play and come up with the "playback error" message. In theory, Youtube will adjust the quality or at least that's what the FAQ says. But the playback error is something else altogether I think. It's like Google have suddenly blocked playing paid for content on the Youtube channel.

qwertysmith

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:06 pm

I was wondering the same thing and found your post. This is what google says:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/4431254?hl=en

At this time, movies and TV shows rented or purchased through YouTube are not available for playback through Roku devices. If you would like to watch your movies or shows on the big screen, you can try physically connecting your computer to your TV.

BandedHawk
Topic Author

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:49 pm

On the link you posted right at the top: "Paid content is currently only available on Roku 3 devices."

I have a Roku 3 and it was working last week in playing paid content.

But thanks.