Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

samedia
Topic Author

Hostname - NP-<serial no> why?

Sat May 10, 2014 7:07 pm

I wonder why the hostname is defined this way i.e. NP-<serial number> on my Roku2 -XS.

Can't it be defined it as Roku2-XS in the build?

It would easy to identify a device it provides some sensible hostname while looking at all devices on your network.
Roku 2 XS - 3100X
Version 7.5.0 build 4099.02
Roku Premiere Plus
Version 7.5.1

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Hostname - NP-<serial no> why?

Sat May 10, 2014 7:37 pm

samedia wrote:
I wonder why the hostname is defined this way i.e. NP-<serial number> on my Roku2 -XS.

Can't it be defined it as Roku2-XS in the build?

It would easy to identify a device it provides some sensible hostname while looking at all devices on your network.

If people have multiple Roku2 XS models that would be problematic, you would get hostname conflicts, and that's not good. Using serial makes sense as it is totally unique to the device. Also, NP stands for Netflix Player, which was the original name for Roku's Streaming Player.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

RickRansom

Sat May 10, 2014 7:48 pm

I have my devices registered in my network using DHCP reservation. My main PC is called "Battle Station". Maybe use that method or a similar one?
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games

samedia
Topic Author

Sat May 10, 2014 7:59 pm

That makes sense. However having multiple devices and following the existing hostname convention still doesn't help to identify the device unless someone check the device physically for the serial number. If Roku provides some a way to define an alias for a device, it would help. e.g. Roku2XS-[LivR|BedR] etc.

I'm going to try to define a hostname in my router DHCP reservation table and see if helps.
Roku 2 XS - 3100X
Version 7.5.0 build 4099.02
Roku Premiere Plus
Version 7.5.1

IBMMuseum

Sat May 10, 2014 10:07 pm

samedia wrote:
That makes sense. However having multiple devices and following the existing hostname convention still doesn't help to identify the device unless someone check the device physically for the serial number. If Roku provides some a way to define an alias for a device, it would help. e.g. Roku2XS-[LivR|BedR] etc.

I'm going to try to define a hostname in my router DHCP reservation table and see if helps.

I hope you aren't in a household with a few Android phones, otherwise you will have to root them to change their default hostnames...

Why does your router key off hostnames, and not MAC addresses for DHCP IP reservation?...