Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

scottypie1234
Topic Author

FXNow

Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:45 am

New to Roku. Play random episodes of The Simpsons, worth the price of admission alone. Requires authentication, of course.

stutch13

Re: FXNow

Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:52 am

Requires authentication of course.. Why you... !!!! Why?? I've always wondered why on these channels.. Load the shows in limited run, I mean they show commercials on these channels so why authenticate?? I've always been stunned by this.. I want to watch these but then you have to authenticate and then get the commercials and... Well the day will come hopefully when this will be laughed at. "remember when you had to pair your box with your cable sub"?...

clocks

Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:00 pm

Thanks. Been waiting for this one. Hopefully Comcast allows it to actually be used.

stutch13

Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:44 pm

stutch13 wrote:
Requires authentication of course.. Why you... !!!! Why?? I've always wondered why on these channels.. Load the shows in limited run, I mean they show commercials on these channels so why authenticate?? I've always been stunned by this.. I want to watch these but then you have to authenticate and then get the commercials and... Well the day will come hopefully when this will be laughed at. "remember when you had to pair your box with your cable sub"?...

What I really mean by why do we have to authenticate is this... If you have ever gone to a television site on the internet, and clicked to watch a show, you get to see it.. No authentication required.. And they show ads and the whole lot.. Why is streaming via Roku or anything else have to be different?? It baffles me... Sorry I just had to add that bit of nothing..

JW1200

Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:57 pm

If I wanted to use "authentication", I wouldn't have a Roku!!

vnazario

Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:03 am

Hello:

As a cord-cutter I understand your point. However, Roku has never been advertised as a cable TV substitute. Roku has relationships with some of these content providers. The value of these channels is that they have some free unlocked content and if you do pay for cable TV, you can then be a "cord-shaver". You can eliminate the costs of renting cable boxes for secondary TV's in the home. Why pay a rental fee for a cable box for the guest rooms, kids room, etc.?

My son loves his Roku on his bedroom and I have a Sony BR player with streaming apps in my guest room. If I was paying for cable, I'd just be paying for one box for the main TV and just use Roku and other streaming alternatives for the other TV's in the home. You can certainly save money this way so having "authentication" required Roku channels is not a bad thing for some.

I use QAM to get my locals free from Optimum through my coax line and some of these channels do authenticate with my Optimum ID and pw. Between all my locals via QAM, SimpleTV, EyeTV and TiVo (OTA DVR solutions), PLEX, XBMC, casting, subs to NetFlix and Hulu+ and other free streaming content from Roku, Sony BR, Equiso Android TV and RaspberryPi XBMC I am able to get most of what I watched before for about 1/3 of the cost.

I have certainly spent a lot of money and time for all cord-cutter gadgets, devices and time doing research to get my setup "just right" but it has been fun and I have recovered every penny and then some in savings over time in comparison to every other person out their paying for traditional TV services.

Roku is not a free cable TV alternative, but if used right it can provide a lot of the content you could get from your cable box.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

thetick

Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:21 pm

Well I pay $200 for cell phone, land line phone, internet (50M/50M) and the mid range TV package but with my Roku still can't watch FXnow, Nat Geo and Fox Sports Go. Note I do get FXnow, Nat Geo and Fox Sports 1 & 2 with my TV package. Stupid Verizon is still feuding over streaming media prices with Fox. Note FoxNow authenticates fine on Roku.
Last edited by thetick on Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS

MWDXER

Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:51 pm

Yes, I would love to have FX Now, but I cannot as it requires authorization from a provider. Yes, I have a provider. It is Dish but Dish is not listed. I had the same trouble with ESPN and Disney, until Dish was added. NatGeo I have the same issue. It burns me, as I pay Dish and I have these channels on Dish, so why can't I get them on the Roku? These channels are getting money from us Subscribers.

Buckeye911

Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:44 pm

I noticed something a little odd on my FXNow channel. When the opening commercial is playing I press the back arrow and it goes back and starts playing the program without playing the commercial. I like it.

thetick

Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:09 pm

stutch13 wrote:
What I really mean by why do we have to authenticate is this... If you have ever gone to a television site on the internet, and clicked to watch a show, you get to see it.. No authentication required.. And they show ads and the whole lot.. Why is streaming via Roku or anything else have to be different?? It baffles me... Sorry I just had to add that bit of nothing..

Get a Chromecast to enjoy all those videos. I had to get a Chromecast since Roku's casting works with on very limited hardware options. I'm now a very happy Chromecast customer since Roku is too lame to implement casting correctly. Chromecast with tab browsing is not perfect as my i3 based PC can only do 720p without skipping. Roku is still preferred especially 1080p HDX with Vudu and the remote is really nice. If Google can implementing better performing casting then Roku is real trouble.
TheTick
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS

stutch13

Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:50 am

All I have to say is this.. and know that I really have no idea of the numbers but I get the gist of what it means by the overall grading system and.. Well let me comment when I give the stats and all.. Shall we start with the ping test from http://www.pingtest.net/ : Ping : 287ms Jitter 14ms with an overall rating of a D* not very good, I get that this shows how stable the internet is, not the speed but usually I won't carry out the speed test because it doesn't matter how fast the internet is if it isn't very reliable.. But here's my speed from http://www.speedtest.net/ 3.93Mbps download speed upload is point 23 that's .23Mbps.. So I set the videos to upload to YouTube and hope it is up there the next day.. Download speed is 3.93Mbps... You read that right.. And this is a midweek (sort of) time frame taken as I'm writing this.. Really it can be very fast (my idea of very fast is around 10Mbps but we generally get about under 5Mbps.. There are times when I will run a test just before going on the Roku and figure it won't work at all, or buffer buffer b u f f e r and take the night to show anything, but I have set the flow rate (?) from Netflix to be a lower setting.. I'm alright with that, I don't have a true HD tv (it says HD on it but it has no HDMI jacks on it).. I'd rather watch a show without interruption from buffering than go through that every three minutes.. It didn't used to be that way, in the "early days" when I first got this roku it was fine rarely buffering but within three months it started to buffer regularly, so rather than unplug the box and wait for our internet to catch up with the new tech toys training their internet, I set the netflix stream to a lower setting and tried to do that with the roku itself but heard that doesn't actually work, so.. Now I get netflix and all it's goodies on a lower setting but not the buffering that goes with it.. A fair trade I guess.. This is way off broadway from the topic but I guess what I'm trying to say is... well.. I don't actually know.. What's the topic.. FXNow?? I must have thought there was some sort of logic to air my greivance towards a crappy ISP.. Oh, I know.. Someone said to try Chromecast, and my feeling is (long story short.. TOO LATE) that I'm not even sure our internet would support it with the stats provided... Whew, that was a long trek to get to that.. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love the Roku, and all it's offerings.. But I have doubts about trying anything else until out internet gets more stable.. By the way.. Our internet plan is 1.5 Meg and can run up to 20Mbps and as low as .. well off if truth be told (that's why my router name is DTC it's on it's off it's on)... Sorry about the long winded mostly off topic response..

gkl

Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:28 pm

I don't understand why folks get so upset about channels which require authentication. I don't have cable so I understand that those channels aren't for me. However, I operate under the belief that the more streaming options available, the better for everyone and that eventually those channels which require authentication will decide that they are missing a large potential audience and offer at least some limited access, like History does now.

I don't watch any FX shows, but you can buy season passes for at least some of the current season on Vudu. See http://www.vudu.com/movies/#featured/3630. I assume Amazon, iTunes, Target Ticket, and others also offer current season passes. So, if you pay for the traditional bundle, they'll let you stream through a dedicated FX channel. If not, you can still watch at least some of the current programming through current season passes. I have no expectation of free access from every service out there. They are offering unbundled access on a per series and a per episode basis. What more do you want?
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

ddevonb

Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:16 pm

stutch13 wrote:

It is very easy to understand. These cable channels make most of their money from cable and dish subscriber fees. If they allowed you to directly use the channel, the cable companies would cut the revenue they are now paying to the individual channels because those channels would be worth less to the cable company.

Eventually there will be a point where cable subscribers drop to the point the many individual channels will sell directly to the customers, but they will charge for that.

stutch13

Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:10 pm

If they show about the same commercials then I can't see why they have authentication.. I know that most of the programming is VOD, but still they could run about the same ads. And like I have said elsewhere, you can go to their web page and watch the shows for "free" there on the computer.. I don't get why they can't do that for streaming players.. No money to be made that way.. There goes the neighborhood..

thetick

Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:11 pm

gkl wrote:
I don't understand why folks get so upset about channels which require authentication.

Because I pay a huge FIOS/cell phone bill to Verizon and have these channels in my TV package. Obviously I can watch these live channels on my STB and even my Android phones and tablet. Verizon should include streaming in all their channel contracts as they do advertise "TV anywhere".
TheTick
Verizon FIOS