Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Elijah_Baley

Re: Roku needs Dolby license for DD+

Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:04 am

naustin wrote:
Smartphones & tablets? Come on let's stay on topic. Dolby Digital Plus and converting to a optical output on the high in roku. Go highjack someone else's topic. Thanks for the courtesy.

One or two of topic posts intended to be funny or informative do NOT hijack a topic.
I am sorry I got under your apparently very thin skin.

On topic: Dolby Digital after 2.1 is useless for me and I do NOT want Roku to waste time or money moving past just providing passthrough and letting equipment that is designed for the purpose handling the fancy audio.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

captivater

Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:27 am

naustin wrote:
That would indeed be silly. I want 5.1 audio for a 5.1 channels of output. If I wanted stereo I wouldn't have started this post. Guess we will see what the new Apple TV has spec wise today.

Then it would seem you are silly also. If you already have all the additional equipment, then getting a cheap AVR is a minimal upgrade. Components occasionally need to be upgraded in any system.
As for use-case scenarios differing from yours, there is a logical reason for a Roku which can output in DD - namely soundbars.

Roku is pushing users toward their licensed hardware-locked TVs for DD output.
SMH

naustin
Topic Author

Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:43 am

captivater wrote:
naustin wrote:
That would indeed be silly. I want 5.1 audio for a 5.1 channels of output. If I wanted stereo I wouldn't have started this post. Guess we will see what the new Apple TV has spec wise today.

Then it would seem you are silly also. If you already have all the additional equipment, then getting a cheap AVR is a minimal upgrade. Components occasionally need to be upgraded in any system.
As for use-case scenarios differing from yours, there is a logical reason for a Roku which can output in DD - namely soundbars.

Roku is pushing users toward their licensed hardware-locked TVs for DD output.
SMH
My point is it is silly FOR ME to down convert 5.1 channel to 2.1. My 5.1 channel Sound bar accepts DD5.1. A 2.1 Sound bar is a different issue. Still we can agree being able to decode DD+ within the Roku would be a nice feature.

captivater

Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:33 pm

naustin wrote:
My point is it is silly FOR ME to down convert 5.1 channel to 2.1. My 5.1 channel Sound bar accepts DD5.1. A 2.1 Sound bar is a different issue. Still we can agree being able to decode DD+ within the Roku would be a nice feature.

5.1 soundbar...silly me... but not silly enough to buy into that Firephonesque "improved" Apple TV :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: What a joke?

theuser86

Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:17 am

1. Is your sound bar actually 5.1 or just 2.1?
2. As well, if you're that set on 5.1 audio for audio quality, then you should stay away from sound bars. Most are just multiple speakers that sit only in front of you to emulate surround sound. The best 5.1 experience would be from an AVR with dedicated speakers physically oriented properly in a room. Any AVR made in the last 5 years can decode DD+.

You can't want the highest quality experience and also want a higher cost Roku to have a Dolby license and then cheap out on hardware with a sound bar - it just doesn't jive.

Heyitsrick

Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:50 am

captivater wrote:
Heyitsrick wrote:
OR, just output stereo from the Roku instead of 5.1 audio. Don't know why anyone would want mixed 5.1 audio in two channels.

Why use a surge protector? A two-outlet box-in-the-wall is enough.
Why use a full HD screen on a laptop? 768p is legible.
Why get a tablet when you have a smartphone? They both do essentially the same thing.

You do realize that response is poorly thought.
The Dolby decoding makes a difference, hence the reason why some manufacturers pay for the license.

Attempting to downplay the opinion shared by those of us that want this feature hardly furthers the discussion.
If you disagree, state your reasons.

Notwithstanding your gratuitious "poorly thought" jibe, lol, here's why:

Surround sound: If you see a sound bar touting its surround-sound capabilities, it’s likely simulated surround. Less-expensive speakers use psychoacoustic techniques designed to fool your brain into hearing things that aren’t actually present in the audio stream. Fire up Windows Media Player and turn on SRS Wow and TruBass to see what we mean. Faux surround can add a sense of stereo depth or spaciousness, but the quality varies between brands and don’t for a second think that it will sound like true surround. (http://www.techhive.com/article/2066037 ... ur-tv.html)

My point is that you're depending upon (assuming we are talking about a 2-channel soundbar) the soundbar's circuitry to create a "virtual" surround mix. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that sub-$100 soundbars probably don't do a great job in that regard, but I could be wrong. YMMV, of course. (Yes, I'm aware you said refurb $50 types.)

If it sounds good/acceptable to you, that's all that matters. My AVR has virtualized surround settings, and when i flip on that mode, I don't like the quality, but that's me.

Heyitsrick

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:10 am

naustin wrote:
Heyitsrick wrote:

OR, just output stereo from the Roku instead of 5.1 audio. Don't know why anyone would want mixed 5.1 audio in two channels.

I was responding to the suggestion of using a 2.1 soundbar for 5.1 audio, not your scenario.

naustin
Topic Author

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:05 am

Thanks for the feedback regarding the Dolby digital plus "feature" Netflix & Vudu are forcing on us. Roku upgraded to a Voice search feature mimicking Amazon's Fire TV. Maybe they will tackle DD+ next. Any rumors on new enhanced devices?

theuser86

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:37 am

There is no need for Roku to add a Dolby chip to convert DD+ to DD. Any one who wants real high quality audio will invest in an AVR that decodes DD+. If you want a cheap sound bar, you get what you pay for. DD+ is not that new of a format to still make sound bars that do not support it, the only reason is to keep costs down and appeal to a budget market.

naustin
Topic Author

Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:06 am

theuser86 wrote:
There is no need for Roku to add a Dolby chip to convert DD+ to DD. Any one who wants real high quality audio will invest in an AVR that decodes DD+. If you want a cheap sound bar, you get what you pay for. DD+ is not that new of a format to still make sound bars that do not support it, the only reason is to keep costs down and appeal to a budget market.

Keeping costs down and making a budget product is probably Roku's position as well. I have an AVR, but its a PITA for my spouse & also doesn't like the six wired speakers. My 52 inch 5.1 Vizio bar with wireless sub does a fair job with DD & DTS, but not DD+. DD+ while not new is really a product of internet broadcasting to produce a better audio over limited band width. You would think an internet dependent company like Roku, would get that and address it better. IMHO.

mike_ekim

Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:45 pm

Keep in mind a lot of TVs can decode DD+ and then pass it on to a soundbar or AVR. Hook the Roku directly to your TV with HDMI, then digital out or optical out to the AVR or receiver.

theuser86

Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:15 pm

mike_ekim wrote:
Keep in mind a lot of TVs can decode DD+ and then pass it on to a soundbar or AVR. Hook the Roku directly to your TV with HDMI, then digital out or optical out to the AVR or receiver.

From my experience, this is not true. While most HDTVs can decode 5.1 DD over HDMI, they cannot handle DD+. I've tried the 5.1 audio (DD+) on Netflix from a Roku on many HDTVs and none could decode the audio.

@OP

What is the make and model of your HDTV?

ronfelder

Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:48 pm

captivater wrote:
mike_ekim wrote:
theuser86 wrote:
Solution: get a new legit AVR which decodes 5.1 DD+ audio. It's the audio of the future, and of the now I guess.

Or an old receiver. I got mine at Goodwill for $40, it has HDMI and DD+. It's not like you need to drop $400 to get "today's audio, today!", you can check out a pawn shop.

Problem with the AVRs is they won't play the 5.1 audio well w/o all 5 speakers connected.

$40 receiver from GoodWill
+ 5 speakers
+ a powered subwoofer
+ Wiring
+ a place to hide wires.
+ a room big enough for all that

or

$50 refurbished 2.1 soundbar with DD decoder that distributes the 5.1 audio between the two channels

How big of a room do you think you need? I have a small house 14' wide and have a 5.1 system set up in my living room. I had a neighbor fish the wires through the wall to the rear speakers. It was a simple job for him. Can't tell that the wall was disturbed. 5.1 sound smuch better than 2.1. 2.1 is what I have in my bedroom and there is a big difference when I watch a movie. Tv shows not as much.
Roku 2100x, (2) Roku2 3100x ,Roku 2720X .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 50/50, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver

theuser86

Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:35 am

The real issue here is that sound bars are more expensive than a Roku and yet lack functionality to decode DD+ so people want Roku to fix their blunder of not properly researching their audio hardware before purchase.

I would be going to the manufacturers of these sound bars and demanding to know why DD+, a format that has been around for at least 3 years now, is not included in their hardware. This is not Roku's fault nor problem to deal with, get a new sound bar that supports all the current formats or get a true standalone receiver.

I will say from my experiences with sound bars I do not know of any that decode DD+ over HDMI. It is such a common issue with sound bars that you can really only blame yourself for purchasing subpar technology.

naustin
Topic Author

Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:30 am

theuser86 wrote:
The real issue here is that sound bars are more expensive than a Roku and yet lack functionality to decode DD+ so people want Roku to fix their blunder of not properly researching their audio hardware before purchase.
If Roku only made a single cheap model like the Stick, I would agree with you. However, Roku makes 4 models with the high end one now equipped with the Amazon Fire copied Voice Search feature. If Roku wants to compete with different models with more features I'd say Dolby should be on that list.