Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

willharwell
Topic Author

Important Notice email from Roku

Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:14 am

Just received the following email from Roku. Anyone have any details?

Dear Roku customer,
Thank you for your recent purchase of a Roku 4, the newest addition to our line of streaming players. We are getting in touch after discovering a manufacturing glitch with a small number of Roku 4 players. We identified your Roku 4 player as potentially among this group, and as a result would like to replace it to avoid any potential issues that would impact your use and enjoyment.

In the next few days we will ship out a new Roku 4 player and a return label for the one you have. We ask that you return your current Roku 4 player as soon as you receive our package.

Requested action:
- Please reply to this email with your full name and current shipping address including zip code, which will be used to ship the new Roku 4 player.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and appreciate your assistance in helping ensure you have the best possible streaming experience.

Thank you and happy streaming,

Roku

raqball

Re: Important Notice email from Roku

Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:30 am

Kudos to Roku~!
Roku Ultra
LG OLED55C7P
Sonos Playbase

clocks

Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:41 am

Great! Now if they would just top it off with what we should expect as normal, in terms of heat, fan speeds/noise, etc...

raqball

Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:46 am

clocks wrote:
Great! Now if they would just top it off with what we should expect as normal, in terms of heat, fan speeds/noise, etc...

Agreed and those are 2 very simple questions that need to be answered before I buy another.

1) What are the normal operating temperatures of the unit
2) Should the fan run 24/7 if the unit is not put into standby mode

If Roku would just answer these, I'd buy another today!
Roku Ultra
LG OLED55C7P
Sonos Playbase

gkl

Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:00 am

raqball wrote:
Kudos to Roku~!

I agree. Very proactive on the company's part. Mistakes happen, but how you handle them makes all the difference. When I compare this to how Simple.TV dealt with its problems, the difference is night and day. Kudos, Roku!
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

Voldemort

Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:55 pm

Tyrone Balajadia <EDITED BY ROKUSHAWNS> wrote:
Hi Len –

Thanks for writing Roku and providing your feedback. Can you provide a best time and number so we can have our Call Center reach out to you and provide replacements for your Roku2 XS. Also, we noticed that you currently have 2 Roku XS and 2 Roku LTs. Can you confirm? We have the following serial numbers linked to your account:

ESN: 13C1CR096575
ESN: 19C28H026381
ESN: 19D2AA035333
ESN: 13C1AS089872

Of course, I was only having problems with the Roku 2 XS and I had three of them. I responded to the email but never got a response...

me wrote:
I have three Roku 2 XS streamers and three Roku LT streamers. I am not aware of any problems with the LTs. The Roku I have been scrutinizing is associated with another account (I didn't want to purge channels from our other Rokus). The Rokus are...

Dad's Roku 2 XS 13C1AF132841 06/28/2014
Basement XS 13C1CR096575 03/31/2013
Living Room XS 13C1AS089872 11/01/2013

Kitchen LT 19C28H026381 10/17/2012
Paul's LT 19D2AA035333 01/27/2013

My third LT is linked to my kid's own account and it is also working fine (as far as I know).

The Roku 2 XS streamers are most used in our house. We used to run them wirelessly. Following an update about a year ago, it became impossible to stream files from Plex wirelessly, so I ran ethernet to each Roku. Two updates ago (I think when MGO was installed), the wired Rokus started rebooting. Not just with Plex, but also with Netflix. I was told the Plex issues were related to how files were encoded, but Netflix was something I had no control over. Looking into the matter, I discovered I was not the only one having this problem. I provided your chat support and user forum moderator with substantial data about the reboots. Both denied the problem. I offered to turn on debug mode and force the problem, but neither was interested since there was no problem. I provided the customer advocate email all the documentation and they did not respond at all.

I like the Roku 2 XS -- that's why I have three of them. If I could roll back to the firmware that shipped with the streamer and decline updates, I would be happy. Unfortunately, that is not possible. I can be (and have been) patient. If your support people tell me there is nothing wrong and there is no fix in the works, then there is nothing to wait patiently for. If your support people would simply monitor the crash records from my Roku, I would at least feel like you cared. Right now, I feel like Roku doesn't know its customers after 90 days.

You can read about this problem here...

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=71477&hilit=reboot
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=70430&hilit=reboot
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=70460&hilit=reboot
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=41635&hilit=reboot
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=70460&hilit=reboot
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=65234&hilit=reboot

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/ ... requently/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/1 ... boot_loop/
https://www.facebook.com/roku/posts/10151825312579737
http://www.amazon.com/Roku-reboots-lot- ... B00BGGDVOO

(URLs deleted because forum limits URLs to ten in a post)

My Roku updated to 5.5.320 on 7/1. I had hoped that this would address the problems as there were changes to channels (including Netflix) as well. I ran movies on Netflix until it crashed (a little more than 24 hours) and I am currently running movies via the official Plex app to see if that still crashes the box.

I am available to talk to your support time from 8am to 9pm most days. The best number to call is (***) ***-**** (6pm to 9pm), but I have a cell phone as well (***) ***-****. While I am open to replacing the hardware, I do not believe there is anything wrong with my hardware and wired ethernet and usb connectivity are important to me.

Thanks for your interest in my problems.

I would not get too excited until the package arrives ;-)
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

rjdriver

Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:25 am

Interesting email. It's great that Roku is being proactive. They admit to a "manufacturing glitch", but don't say what it is. With fan noise being the most prominently complained about issue here in the forums, we are all assuming that's the glitch. It could be something else, especially since they have been able to identify users who have the faulty units ( by serial number?).
LG 42" 1080, Sony S550 Blu Ray, Pioneer VSX 512S, Harmony One, Roku 3-wired, Fire TV Stick, FlircUSB, 30Mb, Antenna. Coventry RI, USA

EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:52 pm

Voldemort wrote:
... Of course, I was only having problems with the Roku 2 XS and I had three of them. I responded to the email but never got a response [...] I would not get too excited until the package arrives ;-)

Your story seems out of the place in this thread and probably should be cleaved away (RokuShawnS?). Regardless, some feedback from me: seems like a great learning moment for you - if you expect resolution of a problem, be short and up to the point - confirm what was asked and provide phone contact, no more. Just like dealing with IRS - stay focused and do not volunteer extra information. You don't want to overload CSRs brains.

Btw do you have many games installed on the user account? The kind that you see "download %" dialog when installing. A few months ago i found a peculiar bug that brings 3xxx players to their knees when sufficient amount (between half and one dozen) of non-BrightScript games have been installed and played. The only solution i found is to delete enough of these games from the account (adding SD card has no relation).

EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:02 pm

Any idea which Roku-4 are subject to recall? E.g. "serial numbers starting with... "

willharwell
Topic Author

Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:08 pm

Just a follow up.

I received the new Roku today and a pre-paid shipping label to send the old one back.

I notice the new one doesn't get nearly as hot on top as the old one did. My old one would freeze and reboot often while using the amazon app. I haven't had a chance to test the new one with Amamzon yet.

I wish I would have thought to record the serial number but I've already mailed off the old one.

Voldemort

Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:47 pm

EnTerr wrote:
Voldemort wrote:
... Of course, I was only having problems with the Roku 2 XS and I had three of them. I responded to the email but never got a response [...] I would not get too excited until the package arrives ;-)

Your story seems out of the place in this thread and probably should be cleaved away (RokuShawnS?).

Still bitter over a months long battle that ended with me boxing up my Rokus. I believe Shawn uses a hammer.
EnTerr wrote:
Regardless, some feedback from me: seems like a great learning moment for you - if you expect resolution of a problem, be short and up to the point - confirm what was asked and provide phone contact, no more. Just like dealing with IRS - stay focused and do not volunteer extra information. You don't want to overload CSRs brains.

The amount of email, chat text, and conversation that passed between me and various CSRs was substantial. Each transaction was marked by a CSR misstating whatever information I provided. Basically, me saying I have three Roku 2 XS streamers that were rebooting and a CSR telling me I had two plus two LTs. Then me explaining that there were two accounts and that the LTs were fine. As time went on, I compiled a short story which I used in replying to any inquiry. The IRS would not have had a problem with so detailed information. When I was working as a contractor, I got a lot of help from them dealing with allowable expenses. In this case, I think I was dealing with people who spent a very minuscule amount of time trying to close out customer calls via dismissal or hand off. As to whether it belongs here, why not. I got an email from Roku promising to replace defective streamers.
EnTerr wrote:
Btw do you have many games installed on the user account? The kind that you see "download %" dialog when installing. A few months ago i found a peculiar bug that brings 3xxx players to their knees when sufficient amount (between half and one dozen) of non-BrightScript games have been installed and played. The only solution i found is to delete enough of these games from the account (adding SD card has no relation).

We reset the streamers to factory, installed Netflix and Plex, and relentlessly crashed the machines. They looked at logs and decided all three streamers were 'defective', promised to replace them, then didn't.

I'm glad Will got his replacement.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

SROJR

Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:22 am

Has anyone actually received a replacement? I'm getting the run-around from ROKU; they are saying that if I am not having a problem then my 4 won't be replaced. I did get the original email; I chatted online and provided my home address. Never received a new unit and called today; now they are saying they are not sending one unless I report a problem with it. I sent the whole story to "Customer Advocate"; we'll see what happens but I am wondering if anyone has received a replacement ROKU 4.