Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

itsRoly
Topic Author

Spotify on Roku

Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:08 pm

I just question myself as to why Spotify hasn't been updated on Roku. For god sakes, it still has the old look, the old "Spotify" logo and it still requires premium to log in and enjoy their music.

When will Spotify finally be updated? Because it looks too old not to be updated anymore.

EDIT: The logo its using now on Roku has no longer been in use as of 2013, according to Logopedia. I think it's time for a huge change to Spotify on Roku.
1 Roku Streaming Stick (HDMI)
2 NOAA Wx Radios (Midland WR-120 & HH54VP2)
2 Laptops (ASUS Book T-100 & Dell Latitude D620)
1 iPod Touch - 4th G.
1 Smartphone (Samsung Galaxy Core Prime)
1 Smartwatch (ASUS ZenWatch 2)
1 HD Radio (Insignia NS-HDRAD)

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Spotify on Roku

Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:19 pm

itsRoly wrote:
I just question myself as to why Spotify hasn't been updated on Roku. For god sakes, it still has the old look, the old "Spotify" logo and it still requires premium to log in and enjoy their music.

When will Spotify finally be updated? Because it looks too old not to be updated anymore.

EDIT: The logo its using now on Roku has no longer been in use as of 2013, according to Logopedia. I think it's time for a huge change to Spotify on Roku.

The channel belongs to and is updated by Spotify, not Roku - they're the ones who have to make the changes. Have you contacted them about it?

gkl

Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:31 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
itsRoly wrote:

The channel belongs to and is updated by Spotify, not Roku - they're the ones who have to make the changes. Have you contacted them about it?

I have, several times. Honestly, if Pandora will leverage its purchase of Rdio and then offer a quality Roku channel or if Google will do the same with its music subscription service, I'm ready to dump Spotify. The other problem is that its family plans are MUCH more expensive than the family plans offered by Apple and Google. It is a great service, but the owners appear to be sitting on their laurel. I'd suggest that's a dangerous strategy given the competition.

I have also urged Roku to communicate its customers' complaints to Spotify. As mikebdoss points out, it is Spotify's channel, but the Amazon Fire TV does have a much better means for Spotify subscribers to use Spotify, with a "casting" type option similar to how one can "cast" YouTube to a Roku. Roku does have a business interest in its most popular channels being as user friendly for its customers as it on competing devices. If I understand correctly how Roku organizes its channels under various genres, Spotify is its third most popular music channel. There certainly is nothing wrong with asking Roku's folks to contact Spotify about these concerns.

So, I'd suggest you do what I've done. File a complaint with Spotify while also urging Roku to contact Spotify and inform it of the concerns of Roku's customers.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Exress
Apple TV 3
1 Mohu Sky, 1 Mohu Leaf Ultimate antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

trekkeriii

Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:02 pm

gkl wrote:
So, I'd suggest you do what I've done. File a complaint with Spotify while also urging Roku to contact Spotify and inform it of the concerns of Roku's customers.

I am guessing Roku has, they just can't disclose communications between them and the Channel operators due to Non-Disclosure Agreements, which also if you read the beta rules, Beta testers have to adhere to as well.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

gkl

Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:05 pm

trekkeriii wrote:
gkl wrote:

I am guessing Roku has, they just can't disclose communications between them and the Channel operators due to Non-Disclosure Agreements, which also if you read the beta rules, Beta testers have to adhere to as well.

I hope you are correct in this case and I hope it has done some good.
Apple TV 3
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

scottypie1234

Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:57 pm

The Spotify channel on Roku is old and clunky, but it still is highly usable. The casting app on AFTV is not, and AFTV's premium add-on for Spotify is barely usable.

That said, I would love for Spotify to update the Roku channel (and the AFTV app while they're at it).

gkl

Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:30 am

scottypie1234 wrote:
The Spotify channel on Roku is old and clunky, but it still is highly usable. The casting app on AFTV is not, and AFTV's premium add-on for Spotify is barely usable.

That said, I would love for Spotify to update the Roku channel (and the AFTV app while they're at it).

It would be far more usable if it enabled subscribers to access the full My Music feature, so that we could, for example, easily go directly to our saved albums and artists. That doesn't seem too much to ask, but I've been asking Spotify about it for the past two years, as have many others. Their lack of a response shows a very low regard to their subscribers in my view.
Apple TV 3
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

scottypie1234

Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:16 pm

gkl wrote:
scottypie1234 wrote:

It would be far more usable if it enabled subscribers to access the full My Music feature, so that we could, for example, easily go directly to our saved albums and artists. That doesn't seem too much to ask, but I've been asking Spotify about it for the past two years, as have many others. Their lack of a response shows a very low regard to their subscribers in my view.

Yes, you're right, the My Music feature isn't in the Roku app. So I continue to do it the old way, add albums as playlists.

belltown

Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:31 pm

I gave up on the Roku Spotify channel a long time ago, even though I'm a paying premium subscriber. As a company, Spotify isn't very responsive to customer feedback, despite hundreds or thousands of complaints on their forums. I'd be surprised if we ever see an update of their Roku channel ever again. Their IOS app is just as bad, compared to the other similar IOS apps out there. They've been removing long-time, useful features like the elapsed time/time-left display on the currently-playing track, which I liked to use when working out; and they can't even implement basic functionality, like a sleep-timer, which other IOS apps like Pandora and TuneIn have.

Now, I just use the Spotify Windows program and stream that to my Roku. If I'm working out or going to sleep, I'll use Pandora or TuneIn. And if I don't feel like turning on my laptop, I'll use the Pandora Roku channel, just because it has a much better UI, even though I don't find it nearly as good as the Spotify Radio or Browse features (not implemented on the Roku) when it comes to playing random music and discovering new stuff.
https://github.com/belltown/

gkl

Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:24 pm

scottypie1234 wrote:
gkl wrote:
scottypie1234 wrote:

Yes, you're right, the My Music feature isn't in the Roku app. So I continue to do it the old way, add albums as playlists.

Which is a clunky way to do it.
Apple TV 3
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

gkl

Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:27 pm

belltown wrote:
I gave up on the Roku Spotify channel a long time ago, even though I'm a paying premium subscriber. As a company, Spotify isn't very responsive to customer feedback, despite hundreds or thousands of complaints on their forums. I'd be surprised if we ever see an update of their Roku channel ever again. Their IOS app is just as bad, compared to the other similar IOS apps out there. They've been removing long-time, useful features like the elapsed time/time-left display on the currently-playing track, which I liked to use when working out; and they can't even implement basic functionality, like a sleep-timer, which other IOS apps like Pandora and TuneIn have.

Now, I just use the Spotify Windows program and stream that to my Roku. If I'm working out or going to sleep, I'll use Pandora or TuneIn. And if I don't feel like turning on my laptop, I'll use the Pandora Roku channel, just because it has a much better UI, even though I don't find it nearly as good as the Spotify Radio or Browse features (not implemented on the Roku) when it comes to playing random music and discovering new stuff.

Yeah. I think Spotify is playing with fire on this. Apple and Google now both offer services which appear to be just as good and which offer much better pricing on their family plans. And I suspect that Pandora plans to offer a competing service for subscribers to play whatever they choose sometime this year, which is why they bought Rdio. All Spotify has going for it are brand loyalty and having been out of the blocks first as to the ability to select what you want to listen to, but that won't be enough to save them if they continue ignoring their customers.
Apple TV 3
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

brianwcallaghan

Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:08 am

In the past week or so, the Spotify app on my Roku has become completely useless. I can't search for music at all. After every letter I enter in the search field, I get an error message. Search Error 16.1. I have to hit ok before I can enter the next letter. For the first few days, it would only do this until the entire artist or track name was spelled ot and then give results. But now it will not show any search results no matter how precisely I spell the song or artist.

I Went to the Spotify site and can not seem to find a way to post a report of the problem. It will only let me search for existing error reports. The error code I am getting is not on the list of error codes that they have on the help page and there are no reports of problems with the Roku app on their site that I can find. Am I the only one having this issue?

I even tried removing the channel from my Roku and then adding it again. But the problem was still there. Anyone have a suggestion?

Basil

Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:48 am

brianwcallaghan wrote:
I even tried removing the channel from my Roku and then adding it again. But the problem was still there. Anyone have a suggestion?

Don't know that it would make a difference, but do file away this tidbit: when removing and reinstalling a Roku channel to attempt to clear out possibly bad data, always reboot after removing the channel and before reinstalling the channel.

If your removal/reinstallation didn't include a reboot, you might want to try that, just to be complete.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo, Android TV (MiBox)

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

barrymanilow

Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:44 am

Basil wrote:
brianwcallaghan wrote:

Don't know that it would make a difference, but do file away this tidbit: when removing and reinstalling a Roku channel to attempt to clear out possibly bad data, always reboot after removing the channel and before reinstalling the channel.

If your removal/reinstallation didn't include a reboot, you might want to try that, just to be complete.

I have the exact same problem, except on the new version of the NowTV Box (British thing) which is a rebranded Roku 2 with things like Netflix disabled. Had the problem for the last week. Tried removing the app, doing a reset and then adding the app again. Still wont search for anything most of the time. Like brianwcallaghan I can't find any info anywhere else on the internet. Nothing on the NowTV forums. Anyone got any clues how to fix this? Cheers.

Edit: Lots of people having the same issue here https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-O ... 836/page/5 . No-one has found a fix. Gah.

belltown

Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:54 am

The Spotify Metadata API, which includes the search API used by Roku, was deprecated on January 20, 2016.

No amount of rebooting, removing and reinstalling is going to help with that. All you can do is wait for a channel update that uses the new Spotify Web API.

I'm sure Spotify are busy trying to find a developer who knows what a Roku is who can make the changes.
https://github.com/belltown/