Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

yragha
Topic Author

Amazon Prime Music + Roku

Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:43 pm

Is their any hope of this ever getting updated or is the ball more in Amazon's court? Currently very little is available via the ROKU.

Thanks

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Amazon Prime Music + Roku

Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:57 pm

yragha wrote:
Is their any hope of this ever getting updated or is the ball more in Amazon's court? Currently very little is available via the ROKU.

Thanks

It's up to Amazon. They wrote the channel, and determine what features are available.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

dssonic

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:01 am

I don't think Amazon intends to ever add Prime music to Roku. The Roku channel can only be used to stream music you own and store in Amazon's cloud. To get Prime Music on your TV you need an Amazon device (Fire TV or Fire TV Stick).

dfgsrzwer

Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:33 am

dssonic wrote:
I don't think Amazon intends to ever add Prime music to Roku. The Roku channel can only be used to stream music you own and store in Amazon's cloud. To get Prime Music on your TV you need an Amazon device (Fire TV or Fire TV Stick).

Not completly true. My Android works as well...though there is no reason to play music on two tinny speakers when I have several perfectly fine stereo receivers

Edit--- I missed that part about "your TV"...nevermind.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

ALRUI

Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:39 pm

I vote for an update to the channel as well:-)

dfgsrzwer

Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:31 am

ALRUI wrote:

Too bad votes don't count...
1080p and 720p TVs

ALRUI

Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:39 am

dfgsrzwer wrote:
ALRUI wrote:

Too bad votes don't count...

Theres always a smart a** on the boards and with a predictable response as well.

dfgsrzwer

Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:59 am

The point is, it is obvious that no one would not want this other than Amazon themselves, for obvious reasons on both sides (there is absolutely no money in it for Amazon).
1080p and 720p TVs

ALRUI

Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:24 pm

dfgsrzwer wrote:
The point is, it is obvious that no one would not want this other than Amazon themselves, for obvious reasons on both sides (there is absolutely no money in it for Amazon).

Sure there is! Why do they keep offering more and more "features" to Prime customers? Easy, to attract more people to sign up for Prime.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:32 pm

ALRUI wrote:
dfgsrzwer wrote:

Sure there is! Why do they keep offering more and more "features" to Prime customers? Easy, to attract more people to sign up for Prime.

I think the point is, since it's available on Amazon hardware, that perhaps Amazon wouldn't feel that additional development on other platforms would be worthwhile. All their promos about Prime Music list Amazon devices that allow you to use the service. That doesn't mean they won't develop an app for Roku, but I'm not holding my breath.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

tgm1024

Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:49 am

Well, it's been over a year now.  Is it still the case that Amazon has omitted the Amazon Prime Music from their Amazon Music roku channel?

Nothing like having multiple ways into something.  Perhaps there's a way to get plex on my PC to magically "connect" (pick your verb) to Amazon?  I could then use plex to pipe it to my TV.

I'll be using my android devices to connect to my stereo soon enough, but this seems a silly omission on Amazon's part, unless they're trying to keep it as their Fire Stick ace in the hole, or something....

dfgsrzwer

Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:22 pm

tgm1024 wrote:
Well, it's been over a year now.  Is it still the case that Amazon has omitted the Amazon Prime Music from their Amazon Music roku channel?

Yes. Don't expect things to change.

dssonic

Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:32 pm

Yeah, it's a shame that Amazon never added Prime music but it is what it is.  I don't think they've updated the channel at all since launch - it is fast and functional but very ugly/dated-looking.  I actually like it because it's much easier to find and play my music than on the slick/pretty (but slow) Fire TV channel.  If Prime music on your television is an important issue you'll have to pick up an Amazon device.

dfgsrzwer

Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:41 pm

dssonic wrote:
it is fast and functional but very ugly/dated-looking.

I'll take functional over pretty every time. Pandora used to be fast and functional, but added bells and whistles that were purely cosmetic and slowed things down somewhat. I use Slacker as my music app anyway, it although the Roku version does lack some functions the "prettier" versions have (such as adding channels), it's still very serviceable. I just use the other versions to "program" channels, and listen on Roku. I'd rather navigate a complex menu every once in a while to add something, than do it all the time just to listen.

tgm1024

Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:39 pm

dssonic wrote:
Yeah, it's a shame that Amazon never added Prime music but it is what it is.  I don't think they've updated the channel at all since launch - it is fast and functional but very ugly/dated-looking.  I actually like it because it's much easier to find and play my music than on the slick/pretty (but slow) Fire TV channel.  If Prime music on your television is an important issue you'll have to pick up an Amazon device.

Yeah.  And at $40 for a Fire Stick, it's not exactly expensive to do so.  Just a royal pain in the neck to have multiple interfaces to juggle, but whatever.  The real approach is to bluetooth it over from a mobile device running their app, or at least it is for me.