Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

barneypoo69

Re: Roku returns to home screen after a certain amount of ti

Thu May 19, 2016 8:03 pm

I had to go and pickup my son after school and I was watching Arrow on Netflix with my Roku 4. I just paused the show and left ( forgot to turn off the TV , left everything on). After getting back me & the wife were talking and I remembered I had my program on pause. Went in the room and the Roku 4 was on the Home Screen. I'm not sure if I like this idea.
I always stop/turn off everything if I need to leave for a while (old habit of fear of burn-in). But it would be nice if it stayed where I left it, maybe go onto a screen saver with Roku moving around on the screen after being on pause for a certain amout of time but return to where it was with a press of any button.
Roku 4, Time Warner Cable 200/20 & Asus RT-N66U
HDfury Integral
Samsung 50JS7000 SUHD
Marantz SR5009
Oppo BDP-80
Paradigm & NHT speakers
SVS subwoofer

ginahoy

Thu May 19, 2016 8:27 pm

I have a Roku 2 XS in drawer that hasn't been hooked up in several months. Too bad there's no way to disable software updates.

dfgsrzwer

Fri May 20, 2016 1:31 am

ginahoy wrote:
I have a Roku 2 XS in drawer that hasn't been hooked up in several months. Too bad there's no way to disable software updates.

If you could disable software updates, many apps would no longer work. Most apps update as well to the firmware updates. That's why you can't "rollback".

Most people won't even notice this. Yes, there should be a setting to disable returning to home (if pigs had wings...aren't you glad they don't). But there isn't. So adapt.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

DubTaylor

Fri May 20, 2016 6:30 am

dfgsrzwer wrote:
Yes, there should be a setting to disable returning to home (if pigs had wings...aren't you glad they don't). But there isn't. So adapt.

Many people are already and will in the near future by remembering these little 'annoyances' when it's time to buy a new box. If Roku doesn't wish to factor the customer into their working relationship with the customer, the customer will form a relationship with a new company. In the end, it's Roku who will adapt or suffer.

Personally I'd love to shoot me down some Air Bacon... wouldn't you? Timing the shot so as not to crush things on the ground would be part of 'the sport'.

w7ox

Fri May 20, 2016 6:28 pm

RockYou wrote:

I'm saying that I expect the Roku to be where I left it, when I left it the last time I watched whatever channel I was watching. It used to do that; now it doesn't. I'm not talking about a channel UI feature for Resume, which is in fact present on any and all of the ones I use. There's nothing "clean" about abnormally terminating a channel after a few hours of being idle. It's just Roku saying "Forget you!"

Yes, that's exactly the problem and clearly Roku did it on purpose. I'm now looking for another way to stream what is on my hard drives. Then no more Roku!

ginahoy

Fri May 20, 2016 7:36 pm

dfgsrzwer wrote:
there should be a setting to disable returning to home... But there isn't. So adapt.

I already did 'adapt' (whatever that means in this case). I came here to voice my opinion to Roku developers, not to hear myself talking. I 'd like to think they at least consider what their customers are saying.

Elijah_Baley

Sat May 21, 2016 4:02 am

w7ox wrote:
RockYou wrote:

I'm saying that I expect the Roku to be where I left it, when I left it the last time I watched whatever channel I was watching. It used to do that; now it doesn't. I'm not talking about a channel UI feature for Resume, which is in fact present on any and all of the ones I use. There's nothing "clean" about abnormally terminating a channel after a few hours of being idle. It's just Roku saying "Forget you!"

Yes, that's exactly the problem and clearly Roku did it on purpose. I'm now looking for another way to stream what is on my hard drives. Then no more Roku!

As I said in an earlier post. I use Plex for my local streaming and I have never had my Roku exit the Plex channel no matter how long it has been inactive. It appears that something in the way Plex does things overrides Roku's auto-exit. If you have a PC available to run its server You might want to give Plex a try. While YMMV I do find that the new Plex channel avoids this issue at least for me.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

ginahoy

Sat May 21, 2016 10:42 am

w7ox wrote:
I'm now looking for another way to stream what is on my hard drives. Then no more Roku!

Which app are you currently using to stream from your HDD? Roku can't do that by itself.

estrus

Sat May 21, 2016 7:48 pm

This is the kind of dumb behavior that is adding up to me dumping Roku. I have been an advocate since the beginning, recommending them to everyone. There are many more players on the market and the annoyances/lack of features is rapidly pushing me away. Their user interface people suck.

Emissary35

Tue May 24, 2016 3:09 pm

DubTaylor wrote:
dfgsrzwer wrote:
Yes, there should be a setting to disable returning to home (if pigs had wings...aren't you glad they don't). But there isn't. So adapt.

Oh believe me I am, I won't be buying any more Rokus! Giving the customer an ultimatum is bad business when there are much better streaming devices out there.

Elijah_Baley

Tue May 24, 2016 3:57 pm

Emissary35 wrote:
Oh believe me I am, I won't be buying any more Rokus! Giving the customer an ultimatum is bad business when there are much better streaming devices out there.

While you do have a valid point I am curious what the "better" streaming devices are? I own a Fire TV, a Fire stick, an older WD Live, a Chromecast several PCs hooked to TVs and a few Rokus. I also have owned or tested several other streaming devices like the Nvidia Shield and the ATV and a few others and I have found nothing that is as good as my Rokus much less better.

Roku has made a number of decisions and performed a number of actions that I REALLY disagree with but, in spite of that, I still use my Rokus for 90-95% of my streaming.
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain

JordanHarris

Tue May 24, 2016 10:54 pm

I personally think this is a good thing. I never forget to return my Roku to the home screen when I'm not using it, but my parents do all the time. I think this new behavior might extend the life of some Rokus by returning home and allowing the device to go to sleep. Idk, maybe devices could already fully go to sleep when on a channel. I can, however, see why this might be annoying to some users. All I can say is that the Roku is super easy to navigate and most channels worth using daily provide some continue watching feature, so it shouldn't take much longer than before to return to your content. Perhaps there should be an option to enable/disable this behavior though.

trappedatuf

Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:39 am

Instead of just posting here (which I'm not sure if Roku devs read) how can we all submit this as a feature request? We need to all voice how we do not like this so they can make it an option in the settings, would be so simple and keep all Roku users like myself happy.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:58 am

Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

Elijah_Baley

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:55 am

Basil wrote:
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=94093

While that is the feature request thread I really do not think that much attention is paid to it or anything else users request.

Roku has their own agenda that may or may not conform to the desires of users. If they happen to introduce a feature that has been mentioned in that thread, or others like it, Roku will happily point to the request and say, "See we listen to users." But many features show up that have not been asked for and many others show up that are clearly not implemented in the way they were requested. This "feature" is a good example of Roku not really hearing what has been asked for and just doing things their way.

Roku used to be responsive to users but they have abandoned that in the last couple of years and seem to present everything in a "Take it of leave it" manner with near total disregard of actual users needs are want.

I love my Rokus but Roku the company is loosing my respect as they continue down the path followed by the many companies that abandon their customers because they think they know what is best for their users.