Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 3834
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:41 am

Re: New OS Firmware 7.2 update info

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:32 am

dfgsrzwer wrote:
EnTerr wrote:
Heads-up -
a bonus "feature" of 7.2 is that it will break some channels. Somebody at the Co. has botched an API deprecation process and in result a few (more than one but i don't know who the others are) channels will be crashing ("exiting suddenly").

That's not new. It's the reason why rollbacks are not allowed. The apps will update as well.

This particular kind of screw-up is novel - in the five years i have been following Roku development i haven't seen something like that. In the big picture of things you are right, "this too shall pass".

lvporta wrote:
Is the 7.2 update for Roku 4 only? Does it apply to Roku 3 and Roku 2? TIA

All models >2222 will be receiving it, e.g. my RokuTV got it already (while set-tops haven't). Since RokuCo are pushing for developers to use their new "scenography" SDK that's under active development, it's important to them to keep the platform non-fragmented.
 
Gatorlaw
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:52 am

Re: New OS Firmware 7.2 update info

Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:10 am

knuckle wrote:
I for one like the autoplay feature especially with the "are you still watching" prompt

Ditto that!
 
User avatar
groman00
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:55 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: New OS Firmware 7.2 update info

Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:04 pm

How can I get 7.2 installed to my device? I've been told that there are issues with my channel on 7.2, but I have no way of verifying.
Greg Roman
Senior Software Engineer, AOL Alpha
 
Heyitsrick
Posts: 1263
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:02 pm

Re: New OS Firmware 7.2 update info

Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:26 pm

maddog510 wrote:
An issue I see is I had my Roku 4 set to the 4K resolution & when I turned it on this morning the image looked overly bright so I put it back to 1080p & it looked normal again. It didn't look like that yesterday before the update.


Perhaps the K meant Kelvins?
 
User avatar
RokuDale
Roku Engineering
Posts: 2065
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:59 am

Re: New OS Firmware 7.2 update info

Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:24 pm

If you are a developer and need to access the new firmware releases, contact developer support and make sure you are in the firmware beta program.
rokudale
 
Titanman2122
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: New OS Firmware 7.2 update info

Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:48 pm

EnTerr wrote:
MacysBruce wrote:
Might be nice if they rolled this out to those of us with Roku TVs. PlayStation Vue is not possible without OS 7.1. I find that preposterous.

A better question to ask would be why doesn't your RokuTV have 7.1 yet? Mine has 7.1.4055 since 4/7 ...


Mine is stuck on 7.05 as well. What brand tv do you have to where your tv actually updated?
 
EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 3834
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:41 am

Re: New OS Firmware 7.2 update info

Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:15 pm

Titanman2122 wrote:
EnTerr wrote:
A better question to ask would be why doesn't your RokuTV have 7.1 yet? Mine has 7.1.4055 since 4/7 ...

Mine is stuck on 7.05 as well. What brand tv do you have to where your tv actually updated?

It's likely to be related to TV brand indeed. Mine is a Hisense (52xx)
 
maddog510
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:48 pm

Re: New OS Firmware 7.2 update info

Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:20 pm

Heyitsrick wrote:
maddog510 wrote:
An issue I see is I had my Roku 4 set to the 4K resolution & when I turned it on this morning the image looked overly bright so I put it back to 1080p & it looked normal again. It didn't look like that yesterday before the update.


Perhaps the K meant Kelvins?

???? It seems that the update has altered the black levels with the 4K setting. I had no issues before today.
 
dfgsrzwer
Posts: 1429
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:07 pm

Re: New OS Firmware 7.2 update info

Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:04 am

lvporta wrote:
Is the 7.2 update for Roku 4 only? Does it apply to Roku 3 and Roku 2? TIA

My 2012 model 3050 got it a few days ago. My new 4210 still has not.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
 
barneypoo69
Topic Author
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:46 am
Location: Kyle, Republic of Texas

Re: New OS Firmware 7.2 update info

Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:39 pm

Still waiting for it on my Roku 4.
Roku 4, Time Warner Cable 200/20 & Asus RT-N66U
HDfury Integral
Samsung 50JS7000 SUHD
Marantz SR5009
Oppo BDP-80
Paradigm & NHT speakers
SVS subwoofer
 
Bacon
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:48 am

Re: New OS Firmware 7.2 update info

Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:48 pm

My Roku 3 got it today.
 
bvd1022
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 9:52 am

Re: New OS Firmware 7.2 update info

Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:35 pm

barneypoo69 wrote:
Cordcuttersnews has some info about the firmware update 7.2
Looks like its just for developers. No fixes of problems with the Roku 4 it appears.

http://cordcuttersnews.com/roku-release ... w-feature/

Just wondering how the author got his info.


My Roku 3 just got the updated firmware tonight, can someone who is more in the know about this than I am, explain to me what the article means when it is talking about playlist support? I know it said for developers, but I haven't noticed much of a difference with regard to the update over the previous version. Right now I am streaming Face/Off on HBO Go. I have the movie in my digital collection, but I'm checking certain channels (Mostly cable/satellite apps) for any updates. The only thing I have noticed so far is the audio sounds a bit clearer on HBO Go as compared to before, but HBO needs to update their UI for Roku as it is not currently the same version as other devices. The Fire TV, for example has an autoplay feature for series on it's HBO Go app.
 
dfgsrzwer
Posts: 1429
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:07 pm

Re: New OS Firmware 7.2 update info

Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:36 am

bvd1022 wrote:
barneypoo69 wrote:
Cordcuttersnews has some info about the firmware update 7.2
Looks like its just for developers. No fixes of problems with the Roku 4 it appears.

http://cordcuttersnews.com/roku-release ... w-feature/

Just wondering how the author got his info.


My Roku 3 just got the updated firmware tonight, can someone who is more in the know about this than I am, explain to me what the article means when it is talking about playlist support? I know it said for developers, but I haven't noticed much of a difference with regard to the update over the previous version. Right now I am streaming Face/Off on HBO Go. I have the movie in my digital collection, but I'm checking certain channels (Mostly cable/satellite apps) for any updates. The only thing I have noticed so far is the audio sounds a bit clearer on HBO Go as compared to before, but HBO needs to update their UI for Roku as it is not currently the same version as other devices. The Fire TV, for example has an autoplay feature for series on it's HBO Go app.


As was said in the post you quoted, not much should be noticeable to the user. The app developers have to add autoplay seperately (and many of us would prefer they did not) as well as any other changes; the Roku update won't do it on its own. I just hope this update won't allow app developers to add more fluff snd crap to ruin my 3050's interface that I saw on my 4210's before the update (including popups on Amazon that cannot be turned off).
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
 
EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 3834
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:41 am

Re: New OS Firmware 7.2 update info

Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:39 am

bvd1022 wrote:
My Roku 3 just got the updated firmware tonight, can someone who is more in the know about this than I am, explain to me what the article means when it is talking about playlist support? I know it said for developers, but I haven't noticed much of a difference with regard to the update over the previous version. Right now I am streaming Face/Off on HBO Go. I have the movie in my digital collection, but I'm checking certain channels (Mostly cable/satellite apps) for any updates. The only thing I have noticed so far is the audio sounds a bit clearer on HBO Go as compared to before, but HBO needs to update their UI for Roku as it is not currently the same version as other devices. The Fire TV, for example has an autoplay feature for series on it's HBO Go app.

You won't see a difference re "playlists". I already pointed out earlier, that "playlist feature" mentioned is not a new capability - just a simple way for developers to do something they have been doing - those who needed it. "move along people, nothing to see here" :)

To speak about HBO Go in particular, there much more pressing things that app needs - like for example "recently watched" section - i can't believe that every time i start it i have to go hunt for the TV series anew - or if i bookmarked something it was just that very episode and not series.
 
bvd1022
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 9:52 am

Re: New OS Firmware 7.2 update info

Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:25 am

EnTerr wrote:
bvd1022 wrote:
My Roku 3 just got the updated firmware tonight, can someone who is more in the know about this than I am, explain to me what the article means when it is talking about playlist support? I know it said for developers, but I haven't noticed much of a difference with regard to the update over the previous version. Right now I am streaming Face/Off on HBO Go. I have the movie in my digital collection, but I'm checking certain channels (Mostly cable/satellite apps) for any updates. The only thing I have noticed so far is the audio sounds a bit clearer on HBO Go as compared to before, but HBO needs to update their UI for Roku as it is not currently the same version as other devices. The Fire TV, for example has an autoplay feature for series on it's HBO Go app.

You won't see a difference re "playlists". I already pointed out earlier, that "playlist feature" mentioned is not a new capability - just a simple way for developers to do something they have been doing - those who needed it. "move along people, nothing to see here" :)

To speak about HBO Go in particular, there much more pressing things that app needs - like for example "recently watched" section - i can't believe that every time i start it i have to go hunt for the TV series anew - or if i bookmarked something it was just that very episode and not series.


dfgsrzwer wrote:
bvd1022 wrote:
barneypoo69 wrote:
Cordcuttersnews has some info about the firmware update 7.2
Looks like its just for developers. No fixes of problems with the Roku 4 it appears.

http://cordcuttersnews.com/roku-release ... w-feature/

Just wondering how the author got his info.


My Roku 3 just got the updated firmware tonight, can someone who is more in the know about this than I am, explain to me what the article means when it is talking about playlist support? I know it said for developers, but I haven't noticed much of a difference with regard to the update over the previous version. Right now I am streaming Face/Off on HBO Go. I have the movie in my digital collection, but I'm checking certain channels (Mostly cable/satellite apps) for any updates. The only thing I have noticed so far is the audio sounds a bit clearer on HBO Go as compared to before, but HBO needs to update their UI for Roku as it is not currently the same version as other devices. The Fire TV, for example has an autoplay feature for series on it's HBO Go app.


As was said in the post you quoted, not much should be noticeable to the user. The app developers have to add autoplay seperately (and many of us would prefer they did not) as well as any other changes; the Roku update won't do it on its own. I just hope this update won't allow app developers to add more fluff snd crap to ruin my 3050's interface that I saw on my 4210's before the update (including popups on Amazon that cannot be turned off).


If I’m not mistaken, other devices I have used for HBO Go have a recently watched feature as well as auto-play. Although I can understand some not liking auto-play, I personally like the feature. Even if I fall asleep watching a series, I can always go back and pick up where I left off. Sometimes it’s better just to sit back, press a button and let the streaming device do the rest. I know there are those who don’t share that opinion, but I’m speaking for myself. Thank you both for clearing that up for me. I’m a writer myself as I’ve said on the forum before, but I for whatever reason got a bit confused. It’s a bit out of my realm of expertise. Thanks again for clearing that up for me I appreciate it.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests