Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

JimPhreak
Topic Author

Casting to Roku from device on different subnet?

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:39 pm

Has anyone been able to successfully get casting to work from the Plex app (or any others) on say Android to a Roku device that's on a different subnet? I've been able to get this working with Chromecasts being they use mDNS but it doesn't look like the Roku's do. Trying to determine what protocol and ports the Roku uses to be found as a casting device in order to configure my network to route it between subnets.

ghb51

Re: Casting to Roku from device on different subnet?

Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:39 pm

I'm not sure if this will help, but i used to have one of my Rokus connected to an OpenWrt router set up as a simple repeater, so the Roku was on 192.168.2.xxx and my Plex server was on 192.168.1.xxx and it worked fine, in that set up devices on 192.168.2.xxx could see devices on 192.168.1.xxx, but not vice versa, so while i never tried it i assume it wouldn't have worked if the Roku and Plex server had been reversed. All that is to say you should be able to cast on a different subnet (although i've never tried it) as long as you choose the right set up.

peatrick

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:00 pm

JimPhreak wrote:
Has anyone been able to successfully get casting to work from the Plex app (or any others) on say Android to a Roku device that's on a different subnet? I've been able to get this working with Chromecasts being they use mDNS but it doesn't look like the Roku's do.  Trying to determine what protocol and ports the Roku uses to be found as a casting device in order to configure my network to route it between subnets.

Were you ever able to successfully resolve this issue, @JimPhreak sir?  I'm in a similar situation, using an Edgerouter paired with a UniFi access point and unfortunately struggling with identical issues.  Chromecast works after enabling mDNS within my cloud hosted UniFi Controller, however I'm not able to use the Roku remote app on my android phone after segmenting things off onto their own VLAN.  YouTube streaming to the TCL55P607 Roku television still seems to work... could I potentially be missing some important firewall rule, or what else could it be?  I'm not even certain what port the Roku remote app would want to work on... obviously I'm far from an expert.  Sorry to revive an ancient thread, just wondering if any conclusion was ultimately reached.  Thank you kindly for your time.

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:18 pm

peatrick wrote:
JimPhreak wrote:
Has anyone been able to successfully get casting to work from the Plex app (or any others) on say Android to a Roku device that's on a different subnet? I've been able to get this working with Chromecasts being they use mDNS but it doesn't look like the Roku's do.  Trying to determine what protocol and ports the Roku uses to be found as a casting device in order to configure my network to route it between subnets.

Were you ever able to successfully resolve this issue, @JimPhreak sir?  I'm in a similar situation, using an Edgerouter paired with a UniFi access point and unfortunately struggling with identical issues.  Chromecast works after enabling mDNS within my cloud hosted UniFi Controller, however I'm not able to use the Roku remote app on my android phone after segmenting things off onto their own VLAN.  YouTube streaming to the TCL55P607 Roku television still seems to work... could I potentially be missing some important firewall rule, or what else could it be?  I'm not even certain what port the Roku remote app would want to work on... obviously I'm far from an expert.  Sorry to revive an ancient thread, just wondering if any conclusion was ultimately reached.  Thank you kindly for your time.

You're asking someone who hasn't been active in this forum (or this thread) for around 3 years.

Your best bet is to start a new thread explaining your current issue.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

peatrick

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:19 pm

Appreciate the prompt response, sir.  Just stumbled across this thread while attempting to continue doing my own little bits of due diligence.  I've almost surely overlooked something small (IGMP snooping?) and will hopefully figure it out.  If not, i'll absolutely be taking your advice... really would prefer to keep that TCL Roku tv on a separate subnet, as it's far and away the most chatty device on our network... with nearly 20x as many requests as the next closest device in a ~24 hour period.  The Roku logging goes nuts when its domains have been blacklisted.   :x

Thank you kindly, @jeffrok for the polite response to my ridiculous oversight of the dates displayed.

[EDIT:] Found a slightly more relevant/recent post:  https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=115471&p=592977&hilit=vlan#p592977