Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dlm1107
Reel Rookie

Re: New Roku TV will not stay connected to Spectrum community wifi

I am having the same issue. I have 2 Roku tvs that worked fine on my communities spectrum wifi for months then all of sudden the connection would get lost 5 secs after connecting to the wifi. I called spectrum numerous times and did all their trouble shooting and was told it was a Roku tv update that now doesn’t recognize spectrum wifi as secure. All my other non- Roku devices connect to the wifi and stay connected without issue. It is just my tvs. 

xomodsbb

@bdbull  Just wondering if you ever found a solution as I am currently having the same issue?

bdbull
Channel Surfer

I did not find a solution just with the Roku tv.  I ended up buying an Android TV box (https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Google-TV-4K-Streaming-Box-New-2023-4K-UHD-resolution/2835618394?fulf...) and just using that.  The Roku TV is really just a monitor now as I don't use any of the features of the tv.  I didn't even connect it to the wifi at all.

0 Kudos
CavalierX
Binge Watcher

Had the same issues since the last OCTOBER FW UPDATE!  It’s not the Spectrum WiFi (ALL OTHER DEVICES CONNECT FINE!) it’s this stupid Roku firmware bug that does some kind of connection validation - which is bogus and will return as “disconnected” when in fact the WiFi is STILL CONNECTED and some apps will work anyway like Netflix (choose to ignore/proceed without network) and others will not start like HBO MAX or STARZ.  ROKU FIX YOUR FIRMWARE and DISABLE the buggy network connection check.  Once connected to WiFi (which PASSES every time) just LEAVE IT ALONE!!! Don’t do whatever it is your ex-Google interns coded up because they obviously don’t know what they are doing in WiFi connectivity! FIX THIS AND PUSH THE UPDATE ASAP!  Being told to use my cellular connection as a hot spot is NOT A RESOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM!

happy_streamer
Binge Watcher

How is it possible this issue was first reported even before new FW was released?

First report : September 3
https://community.roku.com/t5/Wi-Fi-connectivity/New-Roku-TV-will-not-stay-connected-to-Spectrum-com...

Release start date: September 12:
https://developer.roku.com/docs/developer-program/release-notes/roku-os-release-notes.md

0 Kudos
CavalierX
Binge Watcher

Yeah I commented on an older thread from August as well.  I first saw this issue in the summer around July/Aug and then it went away for a while (not sure if that was Roku or Spectrum change) and then it came back in October after a ROKU FW update and hasn’t been able to fix since.  Spectrum is pretty useless because it’s a “community managed switch” for the WiFi network here, so they can’t change many settings (security locked).  But that being said, every other device on this same network works great. It’s ONLY ROKU with this “connection test” issue.  It must be trying a DNS lookup or active ping, which is somehow blocked on the network side, thus it connects OK but fails the connection test afterwards.  Used to stay UP around 15-30sec which would get me past most of the streaming apps startup OK. But since October that has gone down to 0-5sec UP time which is quite frustrating for using some apps.  I either keep trying and get past them fast enough or I give up and switch to my cellular hotspot WiFi instead.  

0 Kudos
happy_streamer
Binge Watcher

Can Spectrum send a technician to check what is getting blocked?

0 Kudos
CavalierX
Binge Watcher

When I connect they can see my MAC address fine.  It’s not being blocked.  It’s whatever Roku is using as a “connected” test that is failing.  They are actively checking the connection almost immediately after a connection has been made.  And whatever that mechanism is, it’s not working and thus drops the connection status the apps are using.  For apps that do not hard fail that query, like Netflix for example, I never go back and reconnect, it’s still actually CONNECTED over WiFi - only Roku thinks it isn’t.  So this is a Roku problem to fix although I would agree Spectrum “community business networks” are the edge case where that doesn’t work as expected.  And I reiterate, ALL OTHER DEVICES CONNECT FINE!  iPhone, PC laptop, home network cam, game systems, etc.

RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users,

We understand your frustrations. We'll do our best to assist.

May we know if you have already tried the following?

• Reboot your router or modem.
  • Remove the channel.
  • Restart the Roku device through Settings > System > Power (skip if option unavailable) > System Restart.
  • Adding the app back.
  • Have you tried connecting the device to an alternative network (e.g., a mobile hotspot) just to check if there will be a difference?

Please keep us posted so we can work on this issue together.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CavalierX
Binge Watcher

Yes did all of the steps above several times and yes confirmed able to stay connected over a hot spot cell WiFi from my phone.  That is not a solution.  You need to accept the gateway/domain DNS and not require a public DNS for WiFi connection tests.  Please update your firmware and send us a push thanks!

0 Kudos