pink screen? handshake issue?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

pink screen? handshake issue?

Postby david0406 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:20 pm

I seem to have developed this pink screen issue with my Roku2 XD . When I have viewed a HD stream, usually Amazon or Netflix, then switch to my set top box, then switch back to Roku2 XD I get a pink screen. This is corrected by powering off avr, or powering off Samsung TV, or unplugging power cable or hdmi cable on Roku2 XD. My avr is an Onkyo TX-NR609. I have tried another hdmi cable from another TV, switched inputs on avr and get the same result. I have purchased a new 24awg hdmi cable from monoprice to see if it is a cable issue. That should get here this week. Can anyone possibly tell me if this is a handshake issue that I do not need to worry about with the Roku2 XD and my avr or TV. This seems to only started recently. Whether or not it has started since the 4.3 software update I can not be so sure of. I have a set top box and a blu ray player both connected with hdmi to the avr and do not have this issue when switching between those devices.
Last edited by david0406 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:28 am, edited 9 times in total.
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
david0406

Re: pink screen? handshake issue? HELP!!!

Postby atheling » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:36 pm

As of yesterday my Roku2 XS is at 4.3 and has been for a while. I have a Onkyo TX-NR609 and run my Roku into that. Don't have a cable box but I do have HDMI from a Tivo into a different input on the AVR. My TV gets its signal from the AVR. So it sounds like my setup is pretty similar to yours with on big exception: My older Sharp Aquos TV is actually 720 native so I have the Roku and Tivo both output at 720p (no reason for them to render or upscale to 1080 only to have the TV downscale the signal).

Unfortunately, I have not seen your problem. Since your TV is getting its signal from the Onkyo and you say that powering off the TV will cure the problem I am wondering if the issue is between the Onkyo and the TV. Does your cable box output 1080p? It might be an issue that pops up when the resolution on the input to the TV changes... Have you tried setting the output resolution of the Roku to the same as the cable box? Might not do anything but might give another data point to consider.
atheling

Postby david0406 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:27 am

atheling wrote:As of yesterday my Roku2 XS is at 4.3 and has been for a while. I have a Onkyo TX-NR609 and run my Roku into that. Don't have a cable box but I do have HDMI from a Tivo into a different input on the AVR. My TV gets its signal from the AVR. So it sounds like my setup is pretty similar to yours with on big exception: My older Sharp Aquos TV is actually 720 native so I have the Roku and Tivo both output at 720p (no reason for them to render or upscale to 1080 only to have the TV downscale the signal).

Unfortunately, I have not seen your problem. Since your TV is getting its signal from the Onkyo and you say that powering off the TV will cure the problem I am wondering if the issue is between the Onkyo and the TV. Does your cable box output 1080p? It might be an issue that pops up when the resolution on the input to the TV changes... Have you tried setting the output resolution of the Roku to the same as the cable box? Might not do anything but might give another data point to consider.

Actually when I power off the TV the hdmi switching of the avr powers off the avr also. I do have all the the outputs set to 720p. The set top box is powered off when I watch the Roku2, so I dont know if it matters what its resolution is set to ( its still 720P). The Roku2 is set to 720 and my TV is only a 720p tv anyway. The avr is also set to 720 with the picture mode in " direct mode " so I think there is no video processing set with it in this mode. So unplugging the hdmi of the Roku corrects the problem. Should I try a different input on the TV from the avr hdmi out? Also 1 other thing I notice with the Roku is when I stream an HD source, Amazon or Netflix the Home screen of the Roku gets much blacker like the contrast ratio or the black level changes for some reason when I stream the HD source. Now I have the AVR in direct mode so from what I understand no video processing is being done by the AVR.
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
david0406

Postby david0406 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:51 am

david0406 wrote:
atheling wrote:As of yesterday my Roku2 XS is at 4.3 and has been for a while. I have a Onkyo TX-NR609 and run my Roku into that. Don't have a cable box but I do have HDMI from a Tivo into a different input on the AVR. My TV gets its signal from the AVR. So it sounds like my setup is pretty similar to yours with on big exception: My older Sharp Aquos TV is actually 720 native so I have the Roku and Tivo both output at 720p (no reason for them to render or upscale to 1080 only to have the TV downscale the signal).

Actually when I power off the TV the hdmi switching of the avr powers off the avr also. I do have all the the outputs set to 720p. The set top box is powered off when I watch the Roku2, so I dont know if it matters what its resolution is set to ( its still 720P). The Roku2 is set to 720 and my TV is only a 720p tv anyway. The avr is also set to 720 with the picture mode in " direct mode " so I think there is no video processing set with it in this mode. So unplugging the hdmi of the Roku corrects the problem. Should I try a different input on the TV from the avr hdmi out? Also 1 other thing I notice with the Roku is when I stream an HD source, Amazon or Netflix the Home screen of the Roku gets much blacker like the contrast ratio or the black level changes for some reason when I stream the HD source. Now I have the AVR in direct mode so from what I understand no video processing is being done by the AVR.

Paying closer attention the AVR does not power off when powering off the Samsung....so that being said the pink screen corrects when I power off the tv or unplug the hdmi from the roku. I did also change to AVR out to hdmi 2 on the tv with the same result. Only when I stream in HD on the Roku, switch to set top box, then switch back to Roku do I get this pink screen. If I do not stream in HD does this pink screen occur when switching.
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
david0406

Postby david0406 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:01 am

david0406 wrote:
david0406 wrote:

Paying closer attention the AVR does not power off when powering off the Samsung....so that being said the pink screen corrects when I power off the tv or unplug the hdmi from the roku. I did also change to AVR out to hdmi 2 on the tv with the same result. Only when I stream in HD on the Roku, switch to set top box, then switch back to Roku do I get this pink screen. If I do not stream in HD does this pink screen occur when switching.

This is a Roku2 issue. I also have a Roku 1 2nd generation that I connected to this setup and could NOT replicate the pink screen switching issue. The only thing I have not done is a factory reset on the Roku2 XD . I am trying to avoid doing this so I dont have to re-activate every app I already have on my Roku2. Any thoughts??? When I plugged the Roku2 back in ...guess what ....the issue comes right back.
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
david0406

Postby atheling » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:25 am

I don't believe you have to reactivate every app if you do a factory reset. I think that the apps you have installed are in Roku's database and when you link the reset box back to your Roku account all your apps should show up. I haven't actually done this so I can't say for sure but that is how it sounds from what I've read...
atheling

Postby haviruzz » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:37 am

This problem received a lot of discussion on the Verizon forum. Basically it's an hdmi handshake problem. In powering on a system, the TV should be the last in the power up sequence. I find the pink screen occurs if I power off my Sony av system and then power it back on. Turn off the tv for a few seconds, then back on cures the pink screen. If this doesn't work, then there are other factors complicating the problem. The latter may be peculiar to your system.
ROKU2XS wired
haviruzz

Postby david0406 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:48 am

[quote="haviruzz"]This problem received a lot of discussion on the Verizon forum. Basically it's an hdmi handshake problem. In powering on a system, the TV should be the last in the power up sequence. I find the pink screen occurs if I power off my Sony av system and then power it back on. Turn off the tv for a few seconds, then back on cures the pink screen. If this doesn't work, then there are other factors complicating the problem. The latter may be peculiar to your system.[/quote
Funny you should say that. Just so haopens I have verizon fios. I use a harmony one remote . I will go into the power up sequence and make sure the tv is last. Turning everything off and back on has cured the problem everytime so far. Thanks for the tip.
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
david0406

Postby david0406 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:23 am

david0406 wrote:
haviruzz wrote:This problem received a lot of discussion on the Verizon forum. Basically it's an hdmi handshake problem. In powering on a system, the TV should be the last in the power up sequence. I find the pink screen occurs if I power off my Sony av system and then power it back on. Turn off the tv for a few seconds, then back on cures the pink screen. If this doesn't work, then there are other factors complicating the problem. The latter may be peculiar to your system.[/quote
Funny you should say that. Just so haopens I have verizon fios. I use a harmony one remote . I will go into the power up sequence and make sure the tv is last. Turning everything off and back on has cured the problem everytime so far. Thanks for the tip.

Just got to thinking. This is a problem when switching not when powering up. I can cure it by simply powering off or unplugging the hdmi on the roku and plugging back in. This is not an issue ever with my bd or set top box. I just wondering where in the chain is the issue. I have a new cable coming. Which would seem the more likely issue? Roku to avr or avr to tv with regards to the new cable?
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
david0406

Postby __5 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:49 am

Could you post more info – click here.
__5
** Valued Community Member **

Postby david0406 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:39 pm

roku5 wrote:Could you post more info – click here.

Roku2 XD
Samsung PN42C450
Onkyo TX-NR609

These are the only devices involved in my issue as stated in the threads. Roku support stated that this is a HDCP handshake issue issue with the TV stated TV is not recognizing correctly the input source. Never had a problem with the Roku1 generation 2. This problem seems to only occur when I stream HD on Netflix or Amazon then switch to set top box then switch back to Roku2. If I stream an SD source on either one of those applications then do the same thing with switching there is no issue. I can switch back and forth between my blu ray device and set top box all day long and have never had this pink screen issue. The other issue that I have noticed is that after watching an HD source the homescreen of the Roku2 gets considerably blacker or darker. I dont know why this occurs either. This also does not occur with the Roku1 gen 2. Of course the backround of the homescreen on roku 1 is white and not black like the Roku2 . All my devices are set to 720P as that is the resolution of my TV. My avr is also set to "direct" which cancels any video processing done in the avr. Roku2 is connected to cbl/sat input on avr. Avr is connected to HDMI/DVI 1 on TV. I switched this to HDMI 2 on the TV and got the same result. I had the Roku2 connected to AUX input on the avr and was getting the pink issue as well. I have ordered a new 6ft. 24awg hdmi cable from monoprice. AWG i guess refers to the gauge of the cable. I hope that is an acceptable cable. Im still not sure where in the chain the issue is. Especially if its a cabling issue. Need more info. Let me know and I will see if I can provide it. Thanks. Dave
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
david0406

Postby __5 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:58 pm

^^^
Could you check if the TV has the latest firmware version?
__5

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:20 pm

David, sorry I'm getting to this thread so late, but everyone's been giving you the correct advice thus far. I'm going to send a note over to my manager with your equipment make/models, to see if we have them in our testing environment.

This issue is strikingly similar with the green screen issue on the Roku 1 models (although I've never heard of it causing a "pink" screen).

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby david0406 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:34 pm

roku5 wrote:^^^
Could you check if the TV has the latest firmware version?

Ok this is not a smart TV and I can not access the firmware version without accessing the service menu......I think. That is someplace I do not want to go. :shock: What I can tell you is that I went into my Harmony one remote software and made sure that the TV was powered on LAST, as stated by one of the posters, for each activity and believe it or not I tried three times unsuccessfully to get the pink screen issue and it did NOT occur :D . I dont know if that is the cure but it seems as though maybe it has helped :D . We shall see.
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
david0406

Postby __5 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:49 pm

^^^
Good.

Btw, on Harmony one remote you can also increase the signal duration for the TV HDMI input. also, It’s easy to access the firmware version from the TV menu-settings (no need to get into the service-menu).

If the issue returns try this,

1. Turn “OFF” all connected devices (Roku/TV/AVR/BDP/STB/…) and unplug Power cords then HDMI cables (& any cable connected to the AVR) -
    – wait 10 min – (if the TV status-light still “On” wait until it goes “OFF”) - first; re-plug HDMI cables then Power cords to ONLY Roku, TV and AVR .

2. On Roku’s side set the follow,
    1. Change Display type to 4:3 Standard - From Home Screen > Settings > Video Type > 4:3 Standard
    2. Press [Home] key.
    3. Change Display to 720p - From Home Screen > Settings > Video Type > 720p

3. On TV’s side set the follow,
    1. “Anynet+” (HDMI-CEC) > set to “OFF”
    2. “Auto Turn Off “ > set to “NO”.
    3. “Digital Noise Filter” > set to “Auto”.
    4. “Size” > set to “Screen Fit”
    5. “HDMI Black Level” > set to “Normal”.
  4. On AVR’s side set the follow,
    1. “HDMI Control” (RIHD) set to “OFF”
    2. “HDMI Through” > set to “OFF”
    3. “Audio Return Channel” (ARC) > set to “OFF”.
    4. “Auto Standby” > set to “OFF”.
    5. “Fixed Mode” > set to “OFF”.
    6. “Resolution” > set to “Through”.
    7. “Picture Mode” > set to “Through”.
  5. First, Reboot all the three connected devices AVR , TV and Roku (for the settings to take effect, its important to turn them Off & On) > Stream a [HD] Netflix/Amazon title > Press [Home] key > slowly switch between HDMI-inputs on the AVR & back to Roku’s input & see what happens before re-connecting the rest of the devices (BDP /STB).

• For “High-Speed” HDMI "Category 2 Certified" cable– click here.

Good luck
__5

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion