Why can I see my Two Roku's as a wireless access point?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Why can I see my Two Roku's as a wireless access point?

Postby startreksteve » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:35 am

Got a Roku 3 and my son has an LT, when I scan for wireless points I see both of them as available. why?

Steve
startreksteve

Re: Why can I see my Two Roku's as a wireless access point?

Postby Geras » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:52 am

I believe Roku 3's use WiFi direct to connect the remote to the Roku. While you can "see" them as an access point there is no access and no vulnerability to worry about.

From all my reading it appears that Roku decided to go with WiFi direct over the Bluetooth they used previously. Some say it was for reliability reasons but I think it was for making it easier to implement the headphone function. I think under Bluetooth it would require too much overhead. Also there may be a battery use savings. But, even more likely, Roku's reason was, like for several other things, "because they could."
Roku 3 (4200X) & 2 (3100X)
"Thanks to words, we have been able to rise above the brutes; and thanks to words, we have often sunk to the level of demons."
Aldous Huxley
Geras

Postby mick129 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:51 pm

So would using an older remote like this one keep my Roku 3 from creating a WiFi network?
mick129

Postby j.m. » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:20 pm

No. There is no way to disable the WiFiDirect broadcast on the Roku3 AFAIK. Why do you want to? Are you having problems?
j.m.

Postby mick129 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:10 pm

Yes, I am. My iOS Netflix app noticed the Roku and now interrupts playback with another popup dialog asking to play here or on the Roku. That step is currently too hard for my 2 year old. Why are you so interesting in why I'd like to disable it?
mick129

Postby kc8pql » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:19 pm

Roku Engineering follows this forum. It's good to post reasons to let them know if there's something they should take a look at.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby TheEndless » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:37 pm

mick129 wrote:Yes, I am. My iOS Netflix app noticed the Roku and now interrupts playback with another popup dialog asking to play here or on the Roku. That step is currently too hard for my 2 year old. Why are you so interesting in why I'd like to disable it?

That behavior has nothing to do with the WiFi Direct broadcast. The Netflix app looks for other compatible devices on the same network. I've never had it prompt me to play it on another device automatically, though. Only if I use the cast/airplay button in the apps interface.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby RickRansom » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:17 pm

TheEndless wrote:That behavior has nothing to do with the WiFi Direct broadcast. The Netflix app looks for other compatible devices on the same network. I've never had it prompt me to play it on another device automatically, though. Only if I use the cast/airplay button in the apps interface.
+1 to this.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby mick129 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:13 am

kc8pql wrote:Roku Engineering follows this forum. It's good to post reasons to let them know if there's something they should take a look at.
My reason is that I would like to disable it. My Roku 3 is the only thing I've ever bought that came with a WiFi access point without advertising it on the box. (The other devices were routers.) I find it strange that not only is this access point not able to be modified or disabled, but that requests to do so are seen as invalid. (1, 2, 3)

I'm glad Engineering follows the forum, though. I'd love it if someone could let me know if this is officially considered a PEBKAC sort of issue or if access point configuration options might come in a future software update. Or get a second opinion on if a different remote could help, as implied by this thread.

TheEndless wrote:That behavior has nothing to do with the WiFi Direct broadcast. The Netflix app looks for other compatible devices on the same network. I've never had it prompt me to play it on another device automatically, though. Only if I use the cast/airplay button in the apps interface.
I like to use Airplay too, but that's not what I'm talking about.

About 5 or 10 seconds after launching Netflix, a blue menu drops down labelled "Ready to play on your TV" without any prompting: http://twitpic.com/dsv7k3

After that happens, anything that's played will first ask where it should play: http://twitpic.com/dsv7m1

I suppose I could take it up with Netflix, but I am trying here first since this is a Roku-specific behavior. Even though I have an Apple TV in the house, the only device listed in the pop-up is my Roku. Does anyone know how this works and if I can avoid it?

Thanks in advance,
-Mick
mick129

Postby mikebdoss » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:29 am

The "Ready to Play on your TV" message has nothing to do with the wireless access point you're seeing. The access point is for your remote's connection to the box, nothing else. You're seeing the other message because your iPad and Roku are on the same network, and for some reason your iPad wants you to play it on your TV.
mikebdoss

Postby TheEndless » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:31 pm

mick129 wrote:
I like to use Airplay too, but that's not what I'm talking about.

About 5 or 10 seconds after launching Netflix, a blue menu drops down labelled "Ready to play on your TV" without any prompting: http://twitpic.com/dsv7k3

After that happens, anything that's played will first ask where it should play: http://twitpic.com/dsv7m1

I understand what you're saying. I'm saying I've never had it prompt me on Netflix on my iPad. It's given me the option via a cast button, but it certainly doesn't prompt every time I try to play something. Likewise, my daughter uses Netflix all the time on her iPad, and has never been prompted. From your screenshots, it looks like you're running an older version of the Netflix app (or maybe you're still on iOS 6?). If that's the case, then your best bet is to update to the latest version and see if that fixes the issue for you.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby mick129 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:24 pm

TheEndless wrote:I understand what you're saying. I'm saying I've never had it prompt me on Netflix on my iPad. It's given me the option via a cast button, but it certainly doesn't prompt every time I try to play something. Likewise, my daughter uses Netflix all the time on her iPad, and has never been prompted. From your screenshots, it looks like you're running an older version of the Netflix app (or maybe you're still on iOS 6?). If that's the case, then your best bet is to update to the latest version and see if that fixes the issue for you.
The iPad is running the latest software it supports, no updates available. Thanks, though.

mikebdoss wrote:The "Ready to Play on your TV" message has nothing to do with the wireless access point you're seeing. The access point is for your remote's connection to the box, nothing else. You're seeing the other message because your iPad and Roku are on the same network, and for some reason your iPad wants you to play it on your TV.
Any idea what the name of this feature is so I can search for ways to disable it or add a feature request using the right terms?

I'd still like to disable the access point. Or at the very least, rename it. Because I want to. Call it OCD and write me off as a nut if you'd like. I'm accustomed to controlling the WiFi access points being broadcast from my home. I'm surprised that a Roku forum, which I would have expected to be filled with similarly techie/tinkering personality types, is so opposed to the idea.
mick129

Postby kc8pql » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:35 pm

It's not that anyone is opposed to you worrying about it. It's that most believe that there's no point in worrying about it.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby mick129 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:48 pm

Thanks for that, kc8pql. I'm beginning to see that there's no point.
mick129

Postby mikebdoss » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:09 pm

The reason it's not a big deal is because it's a Wifi Direct connection between the remote and the Roku; it's not a wifi network that can be joined. If you're looking for a piece of technology that's highly customizable from a tech standpoint, the Roku probably isn't the best choice. It's a wonderful device, but it's very consumer (simplicity) oriented.

I've never seen the "feature" your Netflix app is providing. I don't have the Roku3, but I have a Chromecast, and the app never bugs me to watch anything on my TV.
mikebdoss

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion