Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rshein1
Channel Surfer

Remote "Home" Button stopped working

Jump to solution

The 4K remote works fine and all functions work except within the last couple days the "Home" Button stopped working and won't switch the TV to the Roku Home Menu. I can use my TV remote to enter the Roku Home Menu and the Home function/button works while switching thru different streaming channels; it just won't make the original connection! I have an 2009 Samsung TV but had no issues until recently. All suggestions are much appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote "Home" Button stopped working

Jump to solution

One last thing to try and then I'm out of ideas.  Sometimes it's the TV that needs to be rebooted, so unplug the power from it and the Roku device for 10 minutes or so and then plug everything back in.  You might want to try a different HDMI cable as well since it's involved in the process.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

Danieldialatone
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

To the person who suggested unplugging the TV for a few seconds and plugging it back in...  100% fixed the issue on my end!  Cheers!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
renojim

Jump to solution

If you have "1-touch play" checked under Settings->System->Control other devices, then any button you push on  the Roku remote should turn on your TV and/or switch it to the Roku's input, so I have to wonder if it really has anything to do with your Home button.  I have a new Samsung TV (which I hate) and sometimes pressing a button on the Roku remote gets the TV to switch and sometimes it doesn't.  Given the other issues I've had with the TV, I blame Samsung.  Sometimes it will switch after a few button presses.

A couple of other things to try, I don't use "power saving", so if you have that setting under Settings->System->Power you might want to try disabling it to see if it makes a difference.  Another thing is to check the CEC setting (Anynet+) buried somewhere in the TV's settings and make sure it's enabled.  If it is, try toggling it off and on.

0 Kudos
rshein1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the advice. I tried everything you suggested but it didn't work! The Samsung and/or Cox remotes do adjust the TV Input to the Roku device (HDMI) but I still can't enter using the Roku remote.

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

One last thing to try and then I'm out of ideas.  Sometimes it's the TV that needs to be rebooted, so unplug the power from it and the Roku device for 10 minutes or so and then plug everything back in.  You might want to try a different HDMI cable as well since it's involved in the process.

rshein1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Excellent idea! I unplugged as suggested and it's finally working! Thank you so much for the help!!!!

0 Kudos
cindybodge
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem.  Remote turns on the tv and volume works, but Home button does nothing. Solution: download the Roku ap on your phone or tablet and use that remote.  Works just like the hand remote that periodically stops working

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @cindybodge,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We understand you're having a problem with the home button on your Roku remote since it was not working. No worries; help is here. Please try the steps below:

1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select Remotes & Devices.
  4. Select Remote.
  5. Choose your voice remote from the list and select Set up remote for TV control.
  6. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process.

If the problem still exists, please keep us posted.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Erob

Jump to solution

Your recommendation for the home button not working is to press the home button so you can go to settings. Think about that for a second.

0 Kudos
Danieldialatone
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

To the person who suggested unplugging the TV for a few seconds and plugging it back in...  100% fixed the issue on my end!  Cheers!

0 Kudos
cindybodge
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That wasn't MY suggestion; it was my question.  Still can't get the thing to work except it turns tv on and off and the volume button works

0 Kudos