Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

cwescrab
Topic Author

Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:58 pm

Any deatils?

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:00 pm

cwescrab wrote:
Any deatils?

Roku might know. No one else does.

DaBronx

Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:05 pm

cwescrab wrote:
Any deatils?

I am not allowed to release much information but I can say with certainty and without violating any NDA that Roku will introduced the new R4 box on a day of the week that ends with the letter "y"

--brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

theuser86

Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:20 pm

In Neveruary.

thetick

Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:51 pm

I know I know... the Roku 4 will be release in the future as it's not available now.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS

jeffrok

Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:48 pm

Sometime after the a Roku 3, but before the Roku 5 & 6.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

umeng2002

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:13 am

From the rumors about the Apple TV 2, Roku doesn't really need a new system. Apple thinks 4K is too far off to include it, so I doubt Roku would launch more powerful hardware in the near future. Roku needs to save $ and get HBO Now on their platform in the the future.

Their next box needs hardware h.265/ HEVC, 4K and maybe 3D support along with the other usual upgrades.

twiceover

Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:26 am

I don't know, but I hope they call it the "Roku 3". I mean, why not have another version of the 3, 3 versions of the 2, 2 versions of the 1, 2 versions of the XD, an LT, a couple different 1000 series.

vnazario

Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:21 am

Hello:

I don't see why is it so far fetched that a new Roku with better hardware is not feasible for Roku because of price. I mean, just recently Raspberry Pi released its new $35 board with quad-core processor and accelerated GPU. If Roku comes up with better hardware and maybe enable the USB port (or blue tooth) for use with a gaming controller, it can compete better with advanced gaming titles. Although, Brightscript may be a problem for gaming titles. Maybe Roku can switch to Android or a better supported Linux based distro to add more functionality to its UI. My point is, hardware costs should not be a factor for Roku to move ahead with a Roku 4 and still sell it in the $100 or less price bracket.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

mike_ekim

Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:03 am

You might as well ask when the world will end. Hint: it wasn't 12/12/12 but it might be 15/15/15.

twiceover

Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:11 am

vnazario wrote:
Hello:

I don't see why is it so far fetched that a new Roku with better hardware is not feasible for Roku because of price. I mean, just recently Raspberry Pi released its new $35 board with quad-core processor and accelerated GPU. If Roku comes up with better hardware and maybe enable the USB port (or blue tooth) for use with a gaming controller, it can compete better with advanced gaming titles. Although, Brightscript may be a problem for gaming titles. Maybe Roku can switch to Android or a better supported Linux based distro to add more functionality to its UI. My point is, hardware costs should not be a factor for Roku to move ahead with a Roku 4 and still sell it in the $100 or less price bracket.

It's not hardware cost. The PI is cheap simply because it doesn't have to support an OS. "Here's a pile of janky hardware, go forth modding community" is way different than "Here's a pile of janky hardware, and an OS with tens of good and thousands of crap channels ready for Joe-6Pack to plug in and go."

ocsurf

Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:17 am

My guess is that Roku was planning on releasing the 'Roku 4' in April but after hearing rumors of what the new Apple TV will have this summer they delayed it.

skeptic

Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:45 pm

Roku needs to worry more about FireTV and AndroidTV than AppleTV. Hate to say it, and many of you will vehemently disagree, but Roku needs to jump on the Android bandwagon. It's a good device, but moving forward I don't think it can compete long term with Apple products on one side and Android devices on the other. Apple has their semi-closed ecosystem, and a plethora of fan-boys. Once AppleTV is current again I don't see Roku stealing many iTunes loving customers. Android is just plain huge with major backing from large corporations. You can buy TVs with Roku built in from Hisense and TCL. Who? AndroidTV will be on 2015 models from Sony, Philips and Sharp. Who backs one product vs another doesn't mean the backed product is better than the other, but it does have a big influence on which will be more successful. Roku has a great reputation for being a solid streamer with eleventy-billion channels, but the general interest and momentum is headed the other way.

BTW, Roku just released an upgraded version of the Roku 3.
Roku 3
Roku Streaming Stick
Fire TV
Chromecast
G-box Midnight MX2 (retired)
Various mini PCs running OpenELEC or XBMCbuntu (retired)
OTA live/recorded tv - cheap indoor antenna + MythTV + XBMC

raqball

Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:14 pm

skeptic wrote:
Roku needs to worry more about FireTV and AndroidTV than AppleTV. Hate to say it, and many of you will vehemently disagree, but Roku needs to jump on the Android bandwagon. It's a good device, but moving forward I don't think it can compete long term with Apple products on one side and Android devices on the other. Apple has their semi-closed ecosystem, and a plethora of fan-boys. Once AppleTV is current again I don't see Roku stealing many iTunes loving customers. Android is just plain huge with major backing from large corporations. You can buy TVs with Roku built in from Hisense and TCL. Who? AndroidTV will be on 2015 models from Sony, Philips and Sharp. Who backs one product vs another doesn't mean the backed product is better than the other, but it does have a big influence on which will be more successful. Roku has a great reputation for being a solid streamer with eleventy-billion channels, but the general interest and momentum is headed the other way.

Why would Roku make an Android TV box when Google can't even do it right?

Roku is fine as it is in my opinion. What I'd really like to see is an antenna in jack and an app that opens the OTA feeds. I'd pay $150 for a Roku with OTA capability..
Roku Ultra
LG OLED55C7P
Sonos Playbase

mikebdoss

Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:17 pm

skeptic wrote:

People have been saying exactly this for almost 5 years, and it's still not true. "Jumping on the Android bandwagon" would involve completely rewriting everything on the Roku backend, and that's neither cheap nor feasible. In the end, the Roku seems to be working and selling just fine, regardless of 5 years of people saying exactly what you just said.